Rewiring a Faema Faemina - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
summer

#11: Post by summer »

Mine leaked too (top of group, at the piston), but I solved it by tightening the nut some more (the top nut in the group, the one that you tighten with a hook-tool).

I have bought new plastic feet for my machine. I really wanted the same big feet as my Cremina, but the only I could find that fitted, was small. Well well, the small look ok and gets the job done.

grog (original poster)

#12: Post by grog (original poster) »

Completed the re-wiring last night and everything seems to be working fine! Brought it up to temp (which happens very quickly with both elements on) and no leaks anywhere, so my group rebuild appears to be a success. Well...after I pulled a shot (which went straight down the drain since it was 9:30 pm) and removed the PF, there were some drips from the bottom of the group. I pulled another shot this morning (still fumbling through what dose/grind/tamp this one likes, but that's to be expected) and didn't see any drips after removing the PF this time. I'll give it a couple of days and see if this is just a case of seals and gaskets settling in, or if I've not got something in properly. My initial thought was that perhaps I didn't get the cylinder screwed back in tight enough - I was able to get it out using the hammer and blunt awl method, so never ended up fabricating a spanner tool. If it continues to drip there, any other thoughts as to potential culprits beyond the cylinder? The two-part piston makes for more variables (do I have the gommino in correctly? is the nut under the loaded u-cup tightened adequately?).

Huge thanks to Nelson (Crazy4Espresso) who has been incredibly patient with all of my questions, Doug and Barb for their great rebuild guide, and everyone on this site who has shared their knowledge with the broader community - when I got into this world of levers a couple of years ago, I certainly never thought I would be re-doing the wiring on 50 year old machines. It's a lot of fun.
LMWDP #514

Advertisement
cshere

#13: Post by cshere »

I made a spanner out of a two-inch PVC plug and a couple of pegs cut from 1/8" steel rod:

Someone had really messed up the holes in the cylinder head, but the spanner held. I suppose one could drill new blind holes into the head if necessary.

DJF

#14: Post by DJF »

For your info, when I restored my Faemina the original feet were in the usual poor condition. I ended up using screw-in hard rubber bumper stops that you use on doors, walls etc. They come in white, brown or black and are an internationally available product at hardware stores. They screw in to the existing holes or you can drill new ones. Perfect!

"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I don't think so."