Replacement portafilter for Zacconi Riviera?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
CoffeeBeetle

#1: Post by CoffeeBeetle »

I contacted the guys from lamacchinadelcaffe and they couldn't tell me if the portafilters from the PV fits the Riviera. I'm hoping someone here can help me, because the two spouted portafilter the came with the machine seems rather bad.

RioCruz

#2: Post by RioCruz »

I didn't like my two-spouted PF, either, so I cut off the 2 spouts, tapped the hole and screwed in a flared brass fitting from the hardware store. Works great!
"Nobody loves your coffee more than you do."
~James Freeman, Blue Bottle

CoffeeBeetle (original poster)

#3: Post by CoffeeBeetle (original poster) »

Good idea!
Could you put up some more pictures of that? I think i understand, but i would like to see exactly. I was thinking about trying to make my PF bottomless, but your idea seems like an easier DIY projekt, especially for someone new to such projects.

#4: Post by CoffeeBeetle (original poster) »

Hi guys

I recently bought a brass Zacconi Riviera, made in the early 90s. I'm planning to buy some replacement gaskets from http://www.lamacchinadelcaffe.com/ and would also like to get a bottomless portafilter with that order. The problem is that I can't seem to find out exactly what PF to buy. Some people say that the new Zacconi PF don't fit the older models like the one i have(this seems correct after some rather un-scientific measurements). Some say that the Ponte Vecchio PF fit the Riviera, but other says that isn't true.
I was hoping that someone have tried using a PV PF in a riviera, or at least could tell me with some certainty what PF i should order. If no bottomless PF is available for the Riviera, then maybe i could make one from a regular Riviera PF, but these doesn't seem to be easy to find either.
Thanks in advance!

...split from Anyone have a good reason NOT to get used Zacconi Riviera? by moderator...

yakster
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by yakster »

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

crazy4espresso

#6: Post by crazy4espresso »

The new portafilters do not fit the old Rivieras. I'm not sure when they switched to the new groups though. On the old machines you can use an Export portafilter but only with the Zacconi double basket. The single does not fit and you can't use non flat rimmed baskets, so no export baskets.
"I would rather suffer with coffee than be senseless." — Napoleon Bonaparte
LMWDP #427

HoldTheOnions

#7: Post by HoldTheOnions »

I made my own, just cut off the bottom with tile saw and polished it a bit. Not so much because I wanted bottomless, it's just that the spout stuck out way too far and was awkward. I plan to use some silicone to hold the basket in place. I also swapped the handle from the lever, because the portafilter handle was so puny and don't need a big handle on the lever anyway. Larger handle fees much better in the hand.

HoldTheOnions

#8: Post by HoldTheOnions »

RioCruz wrote:I didn't like my two-spouted PF, either, so I cut off the 2 spouts, tapped the hole and screwed in a flared brass fitting from the hardware store. Works great!
<image>
That's smart, wish I had thought of that. :)

#9: Post by CoffeeBeetle (original poster) »

Thanks for The answer crazy, do you have any idea when they changed at all? My machine is from the early 90s.

#10: Post by CoffeeBeetle (original poster) »

Considering that Zacconi produced their machines in the 70s-90s, and began production again in 2005, wouldn't it be realistic to assume that the difference in models happened between the two production periods?
Well, it seems that all my espresso troubles could have been solved, if only my other hobby was metalworking. I probably spend more time researching what PF to buy than you guys spend making one at home.