Removing minimal rust from Peppina kettle base

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
beer&mathematics

#1: Post by beer&mathematics »

Good or bad idea? Has anyone tried tried this with a dremel?
LMWDP #431

spaz2

#2: Post by spaz2 »

Unless it's too much hassle would it be a good idea to tape off the areas you don't want to remove material from and have the corrosion bead blasted?

tom

beer&mathematics (original poster)

#3: Post by beer&mathematics (original poster) »

It really is just a tiny bit around the edge that is not visible, so taping around the edge should be no problem. But I was hoping to do it with a dremel. I think it would only be for cosmetic reasons but I always like to ask :P
LMWDP #431

Randy G.

#4: Post by Randy G. »

there are rust converting primers. I would look into that. They on;y require light brushing to remove loose or flaking rust. One I used way called MarHyde and turned the rust on the floor of a 50 year old car back to silver-looking metal what was solid and ready to paint. I worked so well it was amazing.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Cafedenda

#5: Post by Cafedenda »

There have been discussions on this issue before so a quick search should bring them right up. I don't think it's a good idea to sand off the rust because you will then add more stress to the enamel lining there. This will probably lead to more rust at that area. Whatever you use such as the rust converting primer will need to be food safe. Someone recommended coating the rust area with a bit of DOW 111. It could work for a bit but then the coating will be thinned away by the hot water so you have to keep an eye on it. I think the only easy solution is the glass kettle v2 that is currently being worked on.

#6: Post by beer&mathematics (original poster) »

Many hours of searching for the correct paint and/or gloss (high temperature, water proof, food safe, etc) has yielded nothing. Seems like a thorny issue and probably why people just use some Dow and call it a day.
LMWDP #431

yakster
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by yakster »

I cheated and bought a spare kettle from Orphan Espresso when it came up for clearance. It's nice to have one without rust spots.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

#8: Post by beer&mathematics (original poster) replying to yakster »

I did the same and bought the 7 kettles lot! But they all had minimal rust (and actually more than mine)--but my reason for buying was to get the bright yellow kettle (which to my bad luck was chipped during shipping). I'm obsessed with bright yellow.

OT: By the way Yakster, been using your 'Yak-attack' technique to empty the grounds into the sink. Also, been meaning to ask you what size shot glass you are using in this video. Is is a standard 2oz shot glass? Been looking for a wide mouthed cup for La peppina since the usual espresso cups I have are not wide enough to comfortably catch the elixir.
LMWDP #431

yakster
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by yakster »

I think that's a standard shot glass, boy that was a while ago. It's kind of a trip to watch and since I've swapped out my Gaggia Factory for my La Peppina, maybe I should study it some more so I can get back into good form on pulling shots.

I don't usually help the lever up anymore, though it does lead to a thicker shot with more crema. I was looking at the La Peppina springs that OE's clearing out and wondering if mine needs replacing, but I think they all have about the same spring tension from what I've read.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

#10: Post by beer&mathematics (original poster) »

So I took a chance and bought the following Calypso Utensil Holder on Amazon:

(sorry for the poorly lit photo--the color is quite nice in person)
Basically it feels exactly like a Peppina kettle (it is steel with a ceramic glaze) and comes in various sizes.
It almost seems like it would fit too (if the bottom was cut out). It is quite large and I put an upside down plastic salsa cup since my coffee tools are not that long. Looks good next to La Peppina.

Maybe I should buy a different color now that my Peppina has gone blonde?

I can also envision former Peppina owners using it for quaint nostalgia purposes as either a utensil holder or maybe making a knockbox out of it (my original intention before seeing how big it was).
LMWDP #431