Quickmill 0996 Achilles [video]

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
dpiette
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by dpiette »

This video isn't great, and I know I misspoke at least once.

And sorry about the dog walking outfit. It gets hot in Houston
This is only my third day with the machine. I will write more later.
you can't win,
you can't break even,
you have to play.
-the three laws of thermodynamics

jonny

#2: Post by jonny »

Good video Dan! I'm glad it's not one of those "drag the camera every which way: look at my machine, now look at the bottomless, now look at the shot" make you sea sick kinds of videos :x But anyway, I read someone said it has a rotary? I couldn't tell in the video. Is it kicking on when the lever lowers all the way like the strega does? Any other similar features to the strega such as actively heated group? I guess the big thing will be what makes the Achilles and Strega different. Well, nice machine, Dan, you lucky guy!

malling

#3: Post by malling »

dpiette wrote:This video isn't great, and I know I misspoke at least once.

And sorry about the dog walking outfit. It gets hot in Houston
This is only my third day with the machine. I will write more later.
Wau just wau, look amazing , and it seems to be allot more Quiet then the Strega.

I like the fact that it uses a Rotary vane pump Instead of A noisy vibe pump.

The pull look identical to what I have seen with a Bosco!

dpiette (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by dpiette (original poster) »

jonny wrote:Good video Dan! I'm glad it's not one of those "drag the camera every which way: look at my machine, now look at the bottomless, now look at the shot" make you sea sick kinds of videos :x But anyway, I read someone said it has a rotary? I couldn't tell in the video. Is it kicking on when the lever lowers all the way like the strega does? Any other similar features to the strega such as actively heated group? I guess the big thing will be what makes the Achilles and Strega different. Well, nice machine, Dan, you lucky guy!
I am lucky indeed!

It is a rotary, but it is only used to fill the boiler. The machine is unbelievably quiet (I will try to do another movie later this week, this one closer. I agree with the steady camera angle. I am guilty of those jerky ones, but I would like to believe I have learned my lesson!)

The pressure is from the spring only. (Like the Pompeii? I am not sure.) As I mentioned above, I need to fool around a lot more to get a better handle on the whole thing. Here are the specs I have gathered from George at Chris' Coffee:

- Body and frame in AISI 304
- Professional lever group, chromed
- Pressure on the blind filter holder: 11 bar
- Copper boiler capacity 4,5 lts., with automatic recharge
- Min. level probe (heater safety).
- Level glass
- Stainless steel anti-burn steam nozzle
- Stainless steel anti-burn water nozzle
- Rotary pump
- Certified safety valve
- Safety system with pump and heater stop and recharge timeout.
- Safety recharge thermostat placed external to the machine
- Water supply direct or with water tank with a switch
- Water tank capacity 3 lts.
- Manometer for the pressure in the boiler
- Direct discharge in the drip tray
- Supplied with one filter holder one way and one filter holder 2 ways
- Green light machine "on"
- Red light heater.
- Green light for minimum level in the boiler
- Parker solenoid
- Nr. 2 springs in the group for coffee extraction , which in the heightest charging point develop 268 kgs.
- Power: 1600 W
- Voltage: 115 V - 60 Hz
- Colour: stainless steel 304
- Net weight: 38,2 kgs
- Depth- 19 ¾
- Width 13 ¾
- Height 17 ½
- Height with lever 31
- Depth for lever clearance 16 3/4

More later! I promise...
you can't win,
you can't break even,
you have to play.

jonny

#5: Post by jonny »

Cool, thanks for all the info. So is it dipper fed from the boiler, not hx? Also how long does it take the boiler to get up to full pressure, then after that, how much longer to be ready to pull a shot?

Supporter ♡

#6: Post by dpiette (original poster) »

Also how long does it take the boiler to get up to full pressure, then after that, how much longer to be ready to pull a shot?
I have the machine on a heavy duty timer. It comes on at 4:00 AM. Everything is hot at 6:00 when I am pulling shots.

Regarding the pump, here is a quote from George at Chris' Coffee:

The pump is rotary and only engages during initial fill or with the reservoir.

More later.
you can't win,
you can't break even,
you have to play.

Bob_McBob

#7: Post by Bob_McBob »

What made you decide to get this machine instead of a Strega?
Chris

Supporter ♡

#8: Post by dpiette (original poster) »

What made you decide to get this machine instead of a Strega?
I wish I could say that I did an extensive cost/benefit analysis of all lever machines that I was thinking about, but it was a little less scientific.

I looked at the Strega, but felt that the hybrid pump/lever pressure creation was not what I wanted. It looks like a great machine, but I felt that I wanted a simple spring lever.

Once I made that decision, I had several elaborate rationalizations about why I wanted, no, needed this machine.
you can't win,
you can't break even,
you have to play.

galumay

#9: Post by galumay »

Hi, nice video! I am very surprised you need a double pull on a machine like this. I have never considered a double pull on my Izzo. Just to add some constructive criticism, your pull looked a little fast - i aim for about 23-28secs after pre-infusion.

Try pulling more traditional size shots too, I found the flavour profile best with 14g in the Izzo, extracting about 28g of coffee in the glass. I tried right up to 18g and back down and that was the sweet spot for me.

The Izzo baskets are 55mm and really deep - even 18g is well below the top, i just shake the PF gently to get the coffee even and then give it a light tamp.

Of course results may vary wildly with the Quickmill, and you may prefer an entirely different flavour profile, but that has been my experience on a big spring lever.

Also, I wouldnt flush the group, it shouldnt need it with such a massive group and in fact if its correctly calibrated it will have a negative impact on temp.
LMWDP #322 i started with nothing.........i still have most of it.

Supporter ♡

#10: Post by dpiette (original poster) »

Hi, nice video! I am very surprised you need a double pull on a machine like this. I have never considered a double pull on my Izzo. Just to add some constructive criticism, your pull looked a little fast - i aim for about 23-28secs after pre-infusion. (snipped other good comments)
Thanks for the comments. I am doing most of this by the seat of my pants, so all advice is welcome. I will spend the next couple of days experimenting.

How long did it take you to get comfortable with the Izzo? I have been running an e61 for many years, and it feels odd to change the routine so radically. (We all fight the last war, right?)

I have to say, it is fun to have such a great machine to play with. I plan on roasting a half pound of beans this weekend just to play with.

Another question - have you thought of using the VST basket?
you can't win,
you can't break even,
you have to play.