Questionable La Pavoni Europiccola on eBay

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
drgary
Team HB

#1: Post by drgary »

Added 9/15: Cammie's experience with this seller suggests a language barrier and lack of expertise. Cammie has bought twice from the seller and has been happy with those purchases. I remain concerned that the machine itself is questionable and insufficient information has been given to value it beyond the parts cost. So, please view this thread as a caveat about buying a vintage machine with insufficient information.

Hi All,

In the spirit of a thread started by Doug Garrott a few years ago, I'd like to post my concerns about a questionable La Pavoni Europiccola being offered on eBay. I write this to encourage an open and honest marketplace. The item number is 231328780072. What's pictured is a 1964-68 machine mounted on a Millennium base. That vintage machine in its original form is worth owning. It would typically have a 200W brew element and a 600W steam element, plus a group with a brass sleeve that together make for excellent temperature control. Build quality of those early machines is excellent, partly because of their sturdy base. The shortcoming of that particular vintage is the group is difficult to service, requiring a special tool. It turns into the boiler rather than being bolted to it. So, even though it resembles a Millennium group by its shape, it's the older version. The shower screen and with it the inner cylinder and piston can only be removed with the special tool. The sightglass is housed without an upper screw or bolt so it may be more challenging to remove.

The Millennium base is thin, stamped metal, prone to rust. They can be maintained but don't have the quality of the old ones and the pull would not feel rigid like the old ones. I infer the reason to mount the machine on that base is that the original heating element or elements may have blown. That's also suggested by the more modern switch on the side. So the machine may have been modified with a pressurestat and a more current heating element. But it's hard to tell if the mod is successful.

The seller won't confirm whether it heats for brewing and steaming. When asked, the seller at first claims ignorance, having bought it at a flea market, and will only claim that it heats. The same seller offers multiple machines from Italy and is not new to this business. When asked the seller also refuses to reveal what's inside of the base, claiming inability to do so because the machine is already packed.

So, this is a machine that was once collectible but is now a composite that combines undesirable features of old and new, and the seller won't show the nature of the revisions or state that they work beyond the machine becoming warm. Buyer beware of that machine and that seller.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Advertisement
pootoogoo

#2: Post by pootoogoo »

I already saw this guy trying to sell at high price machines that he apparently didn't own (proposed at low price on Italian classified adds at the same time)... and that's just one example. Beware of him for sure.

sweaner

#3: Post by sweaner »

He seems to be selling a few EX-presso machines! :roll:
Scott
LMWDP #248

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary (original poster) »

pootoogoo wrote:I already saw this guy trying to sell at high price machines that he apparently didn't own (proposed at low price on Italian classified adds at the same time)... and that's just one example.
That's a very creative approach to "just-in-time inventory" for sure! :lol:
Gary
LMWDP#308

cuppajoe

#5: Post by cuppajoe »

Thanks for the heads-up Gary, a definite service for newbies. I've often come across his auctions and have always shied away, always seemed to be something not quite right. For one, he uses a template and makes no changes regarding the specific machine and this one had 'pile of parts' written all over it. From the missing front badge, drip tray(for that base), and pressure relief valve tube, to the mismatch of generations. Also didn't know Italy traded in English Pounds.

For anyone contemplating purchasing a vintage LP and not very familiar with the line, this site would be a good place to start - http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/lapavoni_ep_eng.htm. He also sells machines, some quite rare.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#6: Post by drgary (original poster) »

cuppajoe wrote:Thanks for the heads-up Gary, a definite service for newbies.

For anyone contemplating purchasing a vintage LP and not very familiar with the line, this site would be a good place to start - http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/lapavoni_ep_eng.htm. He also sells machines, some quite rare.
Yes, that's the mainly audience I'm addressing. If you're interested in a vintage machine but new to this, please feel free to ask* before you buy, research what might break and be hard to replace. Collecting isn't a simple thing. Sometimes you'll find a vintage machine for a bargain and the seller claims ignorance. They just may not know. In such situations I consider how much I want the machine and what might be wrong with an untested one -- also what might be right with an untested machine that has obviously had little use. Photos can tell you a lot. So can some knowledge about servicing a unit you're considering.

* If you don't want to call attention to something offered at auction, don't just ask me! :lol: Please find a thread by someone who owns one and especially if they've serviced it and shoot them a PM. Two of my best finds were machines I didn't know about and asked knowledgeable people (Lady Duchessa and Conti Prestina), and am glad I did.
Gary
LMWDP#308

Marcelnl

#7: Post by Marcelnl »

Goog warning, although there just may be a bit of a language barrier causing problems too (also not sure if listing an ad in a foreign currency means anything).

From experience (n=1, but also after sales service) I dare to second the reference to Francesco as a good source for vintage levers and general knowledge in this area.
LMWDP #483

Advertisement
drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#8: Post by drgary (original poster) replying to Marcelnl »

I completely agree about Francesco.

And yes, language can be a barrier. But this seller's excuses for refusing information were too convenient and the machine too odd to believe him. I am pointing him out as only one case where a seller refuses essential information to know what you might be buying.

I have asked similar questions and more of them from reputable sellers. The knowledgeable ones answer openly and provide photos. The ones who truly don't know explain themselves in a way that doesn't look like they are covering up. Honest but non-expert sellers may offer a better deal after I explain the risks of not knowing what they can't test. I have bought machines on that basis and have been very satisfied.
Gary
LMWDP#308

Cammie

#9: Post by Cammie »

I'm going to suggest that there may indeed be a language issue regarding this seller's listings. I've noticed that the first paragraph or two of each of his listings appear describe the specific machine for sale, the machine's condition and the parts that are included. The remainder of each listing seems to be some sort of generic template that is not wholly accurate including phrases such as "This item is brand new" The seller also lists the same item on several different auction sites and removes the item from all sites when the machine has been sold.

I do not know the seller's level of expertise regarding vintage espresso machines. It is easy for me to believe that he looks for these machines in at flea markets in Italy and sells them internationally. So I don't know whether he cobbled this machine together or bought it in this condition. It is disappointing that the seller is unwilling to unpack the machine he bought at a flea market, conduct more testing and provide more photos. I think it's fair to say he is essentially selling these machines "as is" and you have to look at the listings carefully.

That being said, I will note that he has 100% positive feedback. I will also say that two of those ratings came from me several years ago when he first started selling vintage machines and I purchased first one and then another Caravel from him that were in excellent condition. The seller promptly answered all of my questions and both machines were well packed and arrived safely. I took a chance when I purchased them but I thought is was no less risky than trying to negotiate a purchase through the Italian eBay site.

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#10: Post by drgary (original poster) »

Cammie,

That is a very fair and helpful post. None of us knows what is going on when someone halfway across the world lists an item for sale and does not answer requests for more information. I am going to edit my first post to soften my criticism while still warning about that particular machine.

Back to the machine. If I were thinking of buying it I would have these additional concerns and for that reason I would not pay more for it than the value of the parts that you see in the photos. Someone may get lucky and find that it works well. Or they may find that the bottom is poorly attached, the electrical connections are unsafe, there are steam leaks, who knows what? It's impossible to tell without looking inside the base.
Gary
LMWDP#308