PTFE group-to-boiler gasket for La Pavoni Europiccola

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
mathof

#1: Post by mathof »

I was thinking of trying to make a PTFE group-to-boiler gasket for my pre-millenium La Pavoni Europiccola. I found the following source, which of course offers a range of thicknesses:

http://www.directplasticsonline.co.uk/PTFE_Sheet.html

Can anyone suggest an appropriate thickness which won't involve me having to source new bolts to screw the flange to the boiler?

lesterp

#2: Post by lesterp »

I used the blade of an old nylon spatula that is about 1.75-2mm thick, any thicker will be tricky with the existing bolts. I would say 1.5mm is ideal. I was initially on the fence about the effectiveness, but after trying with and without a number of times, it makes a significant difference.

Advertisement
drgary
Team HB

#3: Post by drgary »

Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

mathof (original poster)

#4: Post by mathof (original poster) »

Thank you for your responses. I make 1/16 of an inch to be 1.5875mm, so essentially you are in agreement, as 1.5mm is the closest you can buy on the site I found. I'll give it a try.

dumpshot
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by dumpshot »

Timely thread. I just ordered 1/16" PTFE for my pre-millennium LP. With the adjustment for currency, looks like about the same price.

Dr. Gary and others who have done this - any reason why I can't just drill the right size holes for the bolts and maybe even the boiler opening instead of hole punch or compass scoring?

Pete
LMWDP #484

drgary
Team HB

#6: Post by drgary »

I think you risk shredding the material with a drill. It's a bit flexible. With the thick PTFE you can always try, though. Leather punch sets are cheap and are nice having around in general for making small gaskets. Also if you look at my thread you'll see I didn't use a compass cutter but used a hobby knife. For thinner PTFE I use scissors.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

DJR

#7: Post by DJR »

I've used a circle cutter in a drill press which works well. Also used a lathe.

Advertisement
DanoM

#8: Post by DanoM »

I used 2mm Teflon / PTFE on my boiler to group and boiler to heating element gasket. Seems to be working just fine too.

FYI, I used a Fiskars circle cutter to score the teflon with a mark for where to cut it out. Then carefully with a razor carefully cut until through the PTFE, and it worked great.

For my 1984 La Pavoni Professional the boiler to heating element gasket fits fine in the recess of the heating element at 2mm, but just barely. The outside circle dimension that worked for me was 83mm diameter, and the inside circle was 65mm. That gives just a little extra width for the gasket that fits cleanly under the lip of the heating element base. (Always cut your test gasket in plain paper first to make sure it will fit, then cut your PTFE.)

I wasn't planning on making a gasket for the heating element just yet, but had to resolve a leak and the new paper gasket tore when working on that issue. Luckily the PTFE was on the way for the group!
LMWDP #445