Pre-millennium la Pavoni Europiccola sight glass question

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
samax

#1: Post by samax »

Hi,

Brand new forum visitor, long time coffee roaster/drinker. :)

I recently purchased a pre-millennium la Pavoni Europiccola. The machine seems to work fine, but I have a question about the sight glass. Out of curiosity, I removed the slotted "nut" that closes the upper end of the sight glass. I was surprised to find a small squarish piece of metal, probably brass, loose in there. It looks like 2 square pieces connected by a thin piece, which are then folded symmetrically, so the squares align with one another.

Is this supposed to be in there? I was able to easily lift it out with a pair of needle nose pliers, to look at it, and it went back in just as easily. I then started trying to figure out what it was for, and so far have been unable to do so...

These forums have already been great in terms of helping me understand this cool new (to me) machine. Thanks to all of you experts!
Paul

hipporun

#2: Post by hipporun »

Yes, that belongs there. Just drop it back in there before closing it up.
Unfortunately I do not remember what it is there for/what purpose it serves, maybe another forum member can elaborate on that.

forbeskm

#3: Post by forbeskm »

Hmm, interesting, never seen that in taking them apart.

drgary
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary »

You mention "pre-Millennium," but there are two generations of those and many incremental changes. Do you have photos?
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

OldNuc

#5: Post by OldNuc »

The folded brass "T" piece at the top of the sight glass prevents those floating level indicator balls from getting lost above the viewing range or flushed into the boiler. There is usually one in the lower end of the sight glass as well for the same purpose. Interestingly floating level indicators do not appear to ever have been generally installed in the La Pavoni Europiccola or Professional by the factory. If there is no floating indicator ball then the brass "T" is serving no purpose or function.

samax (original poster)

#6: Post by samax (original poster) »

You mention "pre-Millennium," but there are two generations of those and many incremental changes. Do you have photos?
Here's pics of the little piece and the machine itself. I popped off the plastic bottom looking for some model indicator, but there was nothing. This has a metal sight glass cover, and a double switch, red & white.

samax (original poster)

#7: Post by samax (original poster) »

That makes complete sense. Mystery solved. Thanks!

rpavlis

#8: Post by rpavlis »

It is interesting to look at an image of a second generation La Pavoni Europiccola and look for clues as to when it was produced during 1974 and 2000. One can look at the switches. On two switch models the framing around them went from white to black around 1990. There were a couple of rather different types before 1980.

The base designed was changed around 1978. Early ones do not have a screw in the middle of the well for the drip tray, and are made of much heavier material.

The boiler cap was changed sometime in the late 1980s to all plastic, rather than brass with a plastic top to prevent turned fingers.

The number of holes inside the group to admit water was changed from two to one, again in the late 1990s.

The portafilter was changed from having an M10 threaded rod attachment to M12, again sometime in the mid 1980s.

Around 1995 the detachable steam wand appeared.

Sometime around 1990 the metal sight glass was discarded and replaced with a large plastic sleeve.

Plastic pistons seem to have been introduced around 1998. (Very bad thing! Eventually they abandoned this downgrade.)

Some of these changes have turned out to be very good things, others not so good.

From these things this looks like a mid 1980s machine to me.

samax (original poster)

#9: Post by samax (original poster) »

The switch and innards match best with the 1984-1987 pictures from here: http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/lapav ... mi_eng.htm, so I think you are right on. Nice analysis.

crazy4espresso

#10: Post by crazy4espresso »

Hello,

I've restored 7 La Pavoni's dating from the 1960's until present, and have never seen that piece before. It's not necessary.
"I would rather suffer with coffee than be senseless." — Napoleon Bonaparte
LMWDP #427