Ponte Vecchio: Why are the Export and Lusso the same price?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
mbishop

#1: Post by mbishop »

I went to 1st line to see about purchasing a Ponte Vecchio Export and was surprised to see the prices for both were about the same, yet the Lusso has:
  • Pressure Gauge
    Hot Water Tap
    3-Liter Boiler (compared to the Export's 0.9 L)
Those all seem like strong advantages. Why then, would the prices be the same? Any theories?

_ michael

Notes:

Export ($798)
http://www.1st-line.com/store/pc/viewPr ... oduct=3625

Lusso ($798)
http://www.1st-line.com/store/pc/viewPr ... oduct=7845

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

They might be having a hard time selling Lusso's due to quality issues and shipping problems. Did you ask the vendor?
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

mbishop (original poster)

#3: Post by mbishop (original poster) »

yakster wrote:Did you ask the vendor?
I have a question in queue. I'll reply with what I find out...

sweaner

#4: Post by sweaner »

Notice that the Lusso is out of stock, and I suspect that it will not be back in stock at 1st Line, given the problems that they had with it.
Scott
LMWDP #248

1st-line
Sponsor

#5: Post by 1st-line »

Hi Michael,

The Export is made of stainless steel. This is much different than the enamel painted steel or chrome plated steel found on the Lusso. There are also Euro exchange rates that play a role into the current pricing.
Jim Piccinich
www.1st-line.com
1st-line Equipment, LLC

1st-line
Sponsor

#6: Post by 1st-line »

Did not see any questions come through. We did get a few new version Lusso models to test. Supposedly, they made some improvements so we can have better luck shipping them.
Jim Piccinich
www.1st-line.com
1st-line Equipment, LLC

ricardo_dacosta

#7: Post by ricardo_dacosta »

1st-Line: are you bringing in the Lusso 2 Gruppi or just the 1 group? Also will those test machines be available for purchase under your refurbished section of your site ;)

Thanks!

1st-line
Sponsor

#8: Post by 1st-line replying to ricardo_dacosta »

Yes, we are looking to bring in both. the refurb machines are of the older version. We test before they are palced ont he web site and then tested again just before shipping.
Jim Piccinich
www.1st-line.com
1st-line Equipment, LLC

peacecup

#9: Post by peacecup »

I own a Ponte Vecchio Export, which I've driven every day for 10 years without fail (except when I let it boil dry for too many hours - even that was an easy rebuild). I also own an older Sama Export, and a Sama Lusso. These are durable machines, capable of great espresso. The Lusso is easier and more forgiving for managing temperature, but both are really great. I'm glad to hear PV is making some changes, and it 1rst line is supporting the sales, it would be tough to find a better home lever for $900 new.

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

mbishop (original poster)

#10: Post by mbishop (original poster) »

1st-line wrote:Hi Michael,

The Export is made of stainless steel. This is much different than the enamel painted steel or chrome plated steel found on the Lusso. There are also Euro exchange rates that play a role into the current pricing.
Many thanks for the response! That makes sense to me. The Export is looking like a good machine.