Ponte Vecchio Tamper: custom size

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
sosha
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by sosha »

I've got a lovely PV Export, with a 45mm tamper from Vaneli's in Sacramento. Loving the machine, but, the tamper is a wee bit too small in diameter. I'm thinking about getting one from Reg Barber, but am not sure how many tenths of a mm I should increase the size.

Anyone done this? What seems to be a perfect fit?

Thx.
LMWDP #440
www.kelpfish.com

SJM

#2: Post by SJM »

Sosha, have you put a micrometer on the one you already have? I just put one on mine and it's pretty right on at 45 mm. (Granted the battery is going out on my micrometer, but the error is slight and on the lower side so that it reads 44.78 - 45 and certainly no more.) Is it possible that the one you have is actually less than 45 mm?

wsfarrell

#3: Post by wsfarrell »

I would wrap it in painter's tape until it was the perfect fit (with room for nutation, etc.), then measure it with calipers and send an order in to Reg. Harbor Freight sells really inexpensive calipers if you lack them (< $10).

pacificmanitou

#4: Post by pacificmanitou »

I have one from vanellis and one from OE. Both fit well. OE is probably a little better. Remember that you can't have too close a fit because the basket tapers, so a tight fit at the top would get stuck in the middle of the basket.
LMWDP #366

sosha (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by sosha (original poster) »

Time to get some calipers.
LMWDP #440
www.kelpfish.com

prof_stack

#6: Post by prof_stack »

I have the same tamper from Vaneli's. Do you use the small or large basket for most of your shots?
LMWDP #010

sosha (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by sosha (original poster) »

The large basket only. There's a thin layer of grounds around the basket above the puck.
LMWDP #440
www.kelpfish.com

pacificmanitou

#8: Post by pacificmanitou »

This always happened with that tamper for me. I smacked the portafilter on the bar then polish tamped. OE 45 mm fits exactly in both sama (ponte vecchio) and la peppina baskets.
LMWDP #366

cannonfodder
Team HB

#9: Post by cannonfodder »

Reg Barber will mill a tamper piston to your specified size for a small fee.
Dave Stephens

rgrosz

#10: Post by rgrosz »

sosha wrote:The large basket only. There's a thin layer of grounds around the basket above the puck.
I'm investigating tampers for my soon-to-be-purchased PVL. I'm curious what you finally decided to use.
LMWDP #556
Life is too short to drink bad wine - or bad coffee