Ponte Vecchio Lusso piston removal tool

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
sprint jinx

Postby sprint jinx » May 28, 2015, 3:13 pm

I was reading elsewhere about how to go about removing the piston in my Lusso, and so I went about designing and making a tool to just that.

I measured my current PF, and ears, and basket, and so on, and then entered all that into 3d cad. I added a boss on the base of the PF to accept a 10mm diameter (bolt's post diameter) nut, plus a little tolerance to get it in and out.

The pictures are better than my words, so I'll shut up and upload....

The hex hole accepts the right nut size and holds it tight, with the help of a spot of glue.

The use of the tool is:
1 - remove the shower screen
2 - place something soft atop the bolt so as to not damage the piston face
3 - place the portafilter into the group, and then screw the bolt upwards until it binds on the piston.
4 - a little more force should allow the pin atop the handle assembly to be removed, then the bolt is relaxed and the piston lowers nicely.

I 3d printed mine in thick/solid abs plastic, and it fits like a glove, as it should. I have the cad files, I can post them somewhere if needed. I am not making these for you.

drgary
Team HB

Postby drgary » May 28, 2015, 3:27 pm

Very nice! About what would it cost to print one of these from CAD files? I'm asking to determine whether it's more practical to buy a portafilter and modify it.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

real roasters for real people
Sponsored by Mill City Roasters - real roasters for real people
kofi

Postby kofi » May 28, 2015, 4:03 pm

I'm sure the HB community and PV owners will thank you for spending time designing and modeling the PV piston removal tool.

I think the easiest way to have the files available to download is to post them in Thingiverse as STL files.
http://www.thingiverse.com

For users who would like to 3D print the files, but don't have direct access to a 3D printer, I suggest you look into 3D Hubs.
https://www.3dhubs.com

In 3D hubs, you can upload the file to a 3D printer near you to get a quote.

I hope this helps.

drgary
Team HB

Postby drgary » May 28, 2015, 4:11 pm

What are approximate costs for something like this printed at a 3D hub? I'm just trying to know the range.
Gary
LMWDP#308

grog

Postby grog » May 28, 2015, 4:11 pm

Very cool. Have you used it to remove and replace the piston yet? I wonder about the plastic holding up under the load of the spring.
LMWDP #514

kofi

Postby kofi » May 28, 2015, 4:43 pm

What are approximate costs for something like this printed at a 3D hub? I'm just trying to know the range.

I've never used their services since I own two 3D printers, but I have referred 3D hubs to other people wanting to have models 3D printed. I know that 3D hubs is more affordable than using a centered 3D printing service, like Shapeways (http://www.shapeways.com). Shapeways has an extensive array of very expensive 3D printers. 3D hubs is essentially comprised of a network of users with mostly prosumer 3D printers.

In general, the price of a 3D printed model is linked directly to the volume and height layer resolution of the object being 3D printed. So printing a 3" cube with 100% infill (solid) is much more expensive than 3D printing the same cube at 10% infill.

The complexity of the object being 3D printed is almost irrelevant when calculating the price.

The only way to have a sense of the cost will be for somebody to upload the STL* files to a 3D printing facility for a quote, which is usually generated very quickly.

* STL is a 3D file format used by most 3D printers. Most 3D software programs can export an air-tight model as an STL file.

ds

Postby ds » May 28, 2015, 4:56 pm

Great idea, why didn't I think of that? Yes, please post it on Thingiverse.

home of Cafelat products online
Sponsored by CafelatStore - home of Cafelat products online
beer&mathematics

Postby beer&mathematics » May 28, 2015, 8:40 pm

Very cool sprint jinx!!

I've had my Sama Export for 2 years and it's about ready for a tuneup but I've been terrified to try to take out the piston. Hopefully, this tool isn't too expensive to make so i can finally service my machine
LMWDP #431

drgary
Team HB

Postby drgary » May 28, 2015, 9:26 pm

A Bessey double headed c clamp might also work, where it grips the top of the group on both sides.

Added: Here's the model: Bessey Tools DHCC-6 0-6 Inches Double Head C-Clamp

Gary
LMWDP#308

OldNuc

Postby OldNuc » May 28, 2015, 11:16 pm

I suspect a flat piece of bar stock that is only as wide as the PF ears/lugs and just long enough to fit with radiused ends and the center drilled and tapped for a fine thread bolt would do the job with no fuss.