Ponte Vecchio Lusso - heating element failure (again)

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Daniel JR

#1: Post by Daniel JR »

Hi all

Following on from this 2010 thread Ponte Vecchio Lusso not heating correctly after element replacement I seem to have experienced another failure.

I am trying to remove the installed heating element but I cant get it to move. My memory is failing me from last time but I am working on the basis that it it threaded conventionally, am I wrong?

I have applied some WD40 without luck, any ideas from the collective wisdom on the next move?

Thanks
JR

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

The heating element threads are shown in the thread you linked, which should give you the direction for loosening it, which appears to be counterclockwise from below ("lefty loosie").

You might try descaling and later applying heat to loosen it. Sometimes if it still won't budge a moderate tap might break it free.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

sorrentinacoffee

#3: Post by sorrentinacoffee »

In the past I have had great difficulty removing these elements from vintage Sama club machines. the elements are the same as the PV ones. I had to buy a very large spanner- and remove the boiler from the chassis- strap it down firmly and then use a hammer to lightly tap the spanner once it was in position on the 'nut'. I had to heat the end of the boiler as well on a stove first... I hope you have better luck- these things can be very tight.

peacecup

#4: Post by peacecup »

One day I'll need to remove the heating element from my Sama Lusso - not looking forward to it, since it looks tight.

Jack - did you soak the joint with thread loosener for some period of time beforehand? I'm wondering if I can take the slow and steady approach?

With the boiler bolts on an old Export, I once soaked them with WD-40 for several days, while each day gently scraping around the head of the bolt with a razor knife to allow the fluid to progressively enter the joint. Finally got there and rebuilt the machine (then the threads on the steam valve became stripped, so it's out of action again till I figure that one out).

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

Daniel JR (original poster)

#5: Post by Daniel JR (original poster) »

Thanks for the response all, I am going to have to tackle this with patience.
I had considered using a blow torch to heat the boiler around the element but not the stove.... will keep that up my sleeve.

cheers
JR

sorrentinacoffee

#6: Post by sorrentinacoffee »

Yep I used WD-40- and cut as much of the seal away as I could using a hack saw blade. Don't know if it helped in the end but guess it probably did. This thread reminds me I have a Bezzera club with the same element type also stuck firm- that one stumped me last year and I left the project hanging... I guess one of those non-adjustable spanners that go all the way around the nut would be the best bet if you can find one.

Daniel JR (original poster)

#7: Post by Daniel JR (original poster) »

Got it done!
A few days of regular WD40 matched with a 32mm spanner with plenty of handle length and a bit of encouragement from Mr hammer.
The element has indeed split again.

Thanks for the help.