Ponte Vecchio Export vs Lusso Americanos

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
davemmevad

#1: Post by davemmevad »

Hi All,

So I'm pretty much set on one of these two machines, and it comes down to one of the deciding questions...

How do you make an Americano with the Export?? there doesn't seem to be a water outlet as there appears to be on the Lusso. If I have to heat water separately, I'll likely just go with the bigger machine, but the Export form factor would fit the kitchen better...

Thanks!
David

Cmtwgr

#2: Post by Cmtwgr »

Steam some water :wink: just like you steam milk (no need to pull air in )

you can the water in the cup you are going to use for the Americano
steam is a VERY good heat transporting medium

davemmevad (original poster)

#3: Post by davemmevad (original poster) »

Doh! That hadn't occurred to me, but yeah, that'd work great! Thanks
David

pacificmanitou

#4: Post by pacificmanitou »

I've done that, it works pretty well. Honestly, I prefer the function of the water tap, though it's alarming how fast the boiler drains when the tap is run. Its also nice for wetting a cloth to wipe down the steam arm, and making a cup of tea. My favorite use continues to be making oatmeal though.
LMWDP #366

beer&mathematics

#5: Post by beer&mathematics »

You can also just pull water from the group without the PF locked in either before or after you pull a shot (depending on how hot you want the group).
LMWDP #431

pacificmanitou

#6: Post by pacificmanitou replying to beer&mathematics »

The problem with that is there's often a bit of retained grounds that enter the cup. Not so much a problem for americanos as other uses for water.
LMWDP #366

beer&mathematics

#7: Post by beer&mathematics replying to pacificmanitou »

That's a good point. I usually do 2 quick flushes after I scrub the group and wipe it down with a towel and then there's no more grounds in the water (to the naked eye at least). So maybe it's best to draw hot water before pulling a shot.
LMWDP #431

peacecup

#8: Post by peacecup »

I used an Export for years with great success, but I have to say the Lusso is a step up in terms of convenience and versatility. It is just much easier to manage temperature with. It is just a mini commercial machine, complete with a thermosyphon group, and it is always ready to pull a great shot. I just got back from a trip to the Sorrento area where lever machines are found in many cafes, and I appreciate my Lusso even more now. I personally think the PV machines are very underrated, but of course I'm biased.

That said, my Lusso is the old version without a "brain", and some users have complained about the newer ones. It is worth discussing with the vendor anyway. The Export is still brainless, so there is no trouble there. The Lusso does take a few minutes longer to warm up, but not much.

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

yakster
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by yakster »

The Wife gets Americanos when I'm pulling shots on my home levers. She prefers Americanos to my drip and pour-over, I figure because of the lighter body. Since I just have home levers (La Peppina, Gaggia Factory, Faema Fameina), I used to just heat up the water and cup in the microwave before pulling the shot on top, but I recently picked up a water cooler with hot and cold taps and use that now as a hot water source for the Americanos, tea, and for my pouring kettle when I'm making pour-over.

I love my brainless beauties, but their boilers are small enough not to want to use them as a hot water tap.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

beer&mathematics

#10: Post by beer&mathematics »

Brainless beauties! Ha! I like that 8)

I'm never getting rid of the Export, since I just love looking at it. It's so unique and beautiful to look at (IMO) :P
But, I also really want a Lusso. Actually, I want a Sama Club but not sure I would be able to handle any repairs if it gets damaged in shipping. One on Fleabay italy right now that I wish I could afford. Am I turning into a hoarder?
LMWDP #431