Ponte Vecchio Export review - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
peacecup (original poster)

#11: Post by peacecup (original poster) »

The PV factory once told me they would sell me one directly. Also, there are sometimes a few available as Gensaco exports, but these usually cost more.

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

prof_stack

#12: Post by prof_stack »

mogogear wrote:Ab-SO-lutley!!! newest LMWDP member!! We know who is smiling today... all day!!
Oh yeah, you got that right!

Well, I picked it up today after getting a final demo at the Good Coffee Company. Joe and Carl were so patient with me. Threw in a half-pound of their own espresso beans, roasted right there in the front of the shop. This place is cooooool!

No way I'll do a review until I've had it long enough to say something worthwhile. Don't want to sound like a gushing newbie.

Joe made a comment that using 30# of tamp pressure is something "those" guys do. Not needed on this machine, said he. Okay, he's was doing espresso in Seattle 40 years ago, long before Starbucks, Tullys, Zoka, Cafe Appassionato, Seattle's Best Coffee, etc. were even thought of. So I'll start light and tweak the Zass and my filling/tamping technique.

Photos coming later.
Prof
LMWDP #010

prof_stack

#13: Post by prof_stack »

Photo as promised. How does the Sama look after 20 years?

Here is a photo today of this great little "coffee bunker" in old town Seattle:

Last night my Starbucks shot glass cracked, perhaps "knowing" its days were numbered.
Today my long-time digital thermometer died, so I had to estimate milk temp by feel.

I guess that makes sense now that I am using a hand-mill to feed a lever machine.

Question: where can I turn for a decent tamper for this machine.

I know I said I wouldn't give a review, so I'll just say that the first use at home was better than any of the best shots I ever got out of my Barista. How is that possible? :lol:
LMWDP #010

mogogear

#14: Post by mogogear »

I believe Vaneli's is the only place to get a 45mm tamper for your... very nice SAMA!! Well done to Joe and yourself. The tampers are about $25 and seems to be where most PV owners get theirs

Happy Holidays Prof!!
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

peacecup (original poster)

#15: Post by peacecup (original poster) »

Les at Thor tampers also turns 45 mm tampers, and he is a fellow Sama owner.

Cheerz

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

mogogear

#16: Post by mogogear replying to peacecup »

That was way too easy to forget- handmade, beautiful and in the same state......Thanks for the wake call PC, Sorry Les.....
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

prof_stack

#17: Post by prof_stack »

peacecup wrote:Les at Thor tampers also turns 45 mm tampers, and he is a fellow Sama owner. Cheerz. PC
Cool! I'll order one after Monday. Thanks PC.

Okay, here are a few observations after 5 days with the Export machine:
- Compared to the LaPavoni Euro I demo'd, the Export is rock steady and usable with one arm.
- My 50+ year old shoulder is talking to me now, telling me to get in shape or develop a smoother pulling technique. Probably both.
- Great crema today with my 24-hour roasted Colombian beans. But it doesn't stick around for long. No matter, its part of the capp.
- Very dry steam with the wand. Quicker than the Barista and the micro-foam is easy to produce.
- It is definitely extracting more flavor from my beans than the Barista did, and that's with 12-13g, not the 16g+ in the Barista.
- I'm tasting distinctive tones more with different beans than before. Hmm, how many blueberries will the Harrar produce?

Most of the shots have been great, so far. The Zass grinder is pretty much dialed in, for now.
LMWDP #010

prof_stack

#18: Post by prof_stack »

mogogear wrote:That was way too easy to forget- handmade, beautiful and in the same state......Thanks for the wake call PC, Sorry Les.....

Just ordered one from Les. Paypal sure speeds things up!

Thanks PC, you're doing a great job helping me spend money! :lol: :roll:
LMWDP #010