Peppina Redux - Page 31

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Bluecold

#301: Post by Bluecold »

It's only dirty because I use the drip tray as a drip tray. It's got a drain anyway! I don't have to shuffle a stupid bowl underneath it everytime.
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

Bluecold

#302: Post by Bluecold »

I'm high on soldering fumes right now, but for something made in an hour with only a pair of pliers and a soldering iron, I'm pretty happy how it turned out.
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

Carneiro

#303: Post by Carneiro »

I've got this tamper from Francesco. It's aluminum, not heavy as the SS ones, but great and a perfect fit - looks like the original:

BTW, this Peppina (first generation, red sticker, but already Fear Peppina) still have to be rebuilt (just seals, it's in great shape) and that brown one that gave me a lot of trouble is now in a good home.

I like the picture - too bad is not the ideal camera to make something like that but it's OK.

Márcio.

CoffeeOwl

#304: Post by CoffeeOwl »

Nice :)
Looks the original indeed.
'a a ha sha sa ma!

LMWDP #199

yakster
Supporter ♡

#305: Post by yakster »

Bluecold, nicely done on the grate.

Carneiro, nice La Peppina. I also saw a metal tamper like yours on eBay, but I'm pretty happy with the Bakelite original that came with mine.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Carneiro

#306: Post by Carneiro »

Thanks!

The one you've seen on eBay should be the same, from Francesco.

Márcio.

CoffeeOwl

#307: Post by CoffeeOwl »

yakster wrote:I also saw a metal tamper like yours on eBay, but I'm pretty happy with the Bakelite original that came with mine.
Me too. And if you folks have ever seen the plastic tampers of modern pump machines, like the one that arrived with La Spaziale... shame!!!
When I got my La Peppina and saw the tamper, I just said 'wow!'.
'a a ha sha sa ma!

LMWDP #199

samgiles

#308: Post by samgiles »

Hi all. I recently got this Peppina Termomatica. I've never seen one like it. It's all painted black including the PF. I'm starting to take it apart to clean and I'll be getting some seals from OE to do a rebuild. My worry is the bowl around the element. Some of this paint (or whatever it is) is starting to come off. I imagine descaling wouldn't be a good idea? I also wonder if cafetto will be safe to use on the PF? Does anyone have one like this? Any recommendations on cleaning?
LMWDP #169

orphanespresso
Sponsor

#309: Post by orphanespresso »

It looks like it is anodized perhaps, not painted. The coating pits inside the kettle at the element will possibly grow over time, slowly though. It looks clean enough to perhaps brush off with a brass brush or stiff nylon bristle brush. As long as this small corrosion is not at the kettle seal channel it seems more or less normal. You may be able to install a zinc strip on the element to try to prevent the corrosion process.

These "different" La Pepps are interesting though.

samgiles

#310: Post by samgiles »

Thanks Doug. I'll give that a go as it is pretty clean anyway. Do you know if the seals and washers are the same on these Termomaticas?
LMWDP #169