Pavoni: Coffee getting pulled into group?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
omglolmax

#1: Post by omglolmax »

Hi All,

I have had my Europiccola for a while now, and I'm still not getting optimal results....

After every use I have to clean the screen in the group and the space between the screen and the outer part of the group because they're full of coffee. I also notice that the puck often has an imprint from the screen. I don't know at what point it gets pulled up there... I always lift the lever to just before the point where water comes out before I put in the portafilter. I also let the pressure go down before I take the portafilter back out, so I don't think it happens when I unlock it.

Does anyone have an explanation for this?

Thanks, Max

forbeskm

#2: Post by forbeskm »

Hmm, not sure. I always put a aerorpress filter on the top of my puck. Keeps the fines from the boiler on the half pumps at the top to firm up. How full is your basket? Which basket? pre or post milennium?

rpavlis

#3: Post by rpavlis »

One must remove the portafilter from the machine before it cools down completely. Otherwise when the boiler cools the pressure inside will fall below ambient. When the piston seals are properly lubricated the piston will move upward and air and, unfortunately, remaining liquid in the espresso plug will be pulled into the boiler. Not good! (If you have one of the recent machines with a vacuum relief this should not happen, but keep reading.)

Best procedure: Wait a bit after last shot (perhaps 30 seconds) before removing portafilter for internal portafilter pressure to drop. Then cautiously turn it to be sure any pressure is gone or coffee will be thrown everywhere as you remove it. As soon as you remove the portafilter, take a ramekin filled with fresh water, and draw some water into the group by raising the handle about half way. Move it up and down a bit, and then lower the ramekin and bring down the handle. This will tend to keep the inside of the group cleaner too. Dry off the dispersion screen with a towel immediately. While still hot brush around the base of the group to remove any coffee particles.

Getting coffee into the boiler is a very bad thing for multiple reasons.

Failed lower seal will also result in getting coffee and dissolved coffee components into the boiler. (And having a machine with a vacuum relief valve will not help at all.) At least once a week take a light and look into the boiler. The water should be clear. There should be no deposits of any kind and colour anywhere other than a microscopically thin layer of cupper oxides on everything inside. Stainless steel elements should look perfect! Using a machine with bad seals or allowing it to cool without removing portafilter can result on black deposits covering everything. Probably the best thing to use to remove this kind of deposit is 190 proof alcohol, often called grain alcohol or Everclear. Add about 50 mL and shake around and let sit for an hour or two. Pour out alcohol and inspect. You might need a second alcohol soak. After draining the "booze" thoroughly you need to rinse the machine with water, drain it again, and then refill it.

jonr

#4: Post by jonr »

Don't over dose - I use 11.4 grams in a pre-M, which is about the same as 15 grams in a normal 58mm portafilter (ie, a normal dose which makes good espresso).
One must remove the portafilter from the machine before it cools down completely.
How about opening the steam valve slightly? Seems to work fine with less chance of an accident.