www.wholelattelove.com: our caffeinated commitment to you

Owner experience with Londinium I - Page 75

Postby Possepat on Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:13 pm

Stephen,

The temp tags are indeed cool. I ordered mine on Dec 7th.
"Do what you want, you're gonna do it anyways!" - My father

LMWDP #365
Possepat

Postby FotonDrv on Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:14 pm

Possepat wrote:Stephen,

The temp tags are indeed cool. I ordered mine on Dec 7th.

Thanks for the info, temp tags might be in my future :)
LMWDP #417, chew the bean and save money :-)
FotonDrv

Postby arcus on Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:09 pm

FotonDrv wrote:You might need a 58mm tamper and that is about it. If your HG-One shows up in time for the L-I arrival it should a pretty nice party.

Congratulations!

Stephen

Thanks Stephen! It turns out it was your L-I tamper I was trying to find in the thread. Unfortunately, I included a 58mm RB tamper w/ my E61 machine that I sold earlier this year so now I need to get another. Did you have to special order that?
Obsession makes everything possible
arcus

Postby FotonDrv on Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:12 pm

arcus wrote:Thanks Stephen! It turns out it was your L-I tamper I was trying to find in the thread. Unfortunately, I included a 58mm RB tamper w/ my E61 machine that I sold earlier this year so now I need to get another. Did you have to special order that?

Arcus:
Yes, I did special order that "L-I" tamper, it is a RB. I selected the brass because it was heavy, which I like. You really don't need a special tamper and any 58mm would work IMHO, it's just bling :)
Stephen
FotonDrv

Postby arcus on Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:15 pm

Yes, but that one is very cool and tempting :)
arcus

Postby FotonDrv on Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:21 pm

arcus wrote:Yes, but that one is very cool and tempting :)

When I was filling out the area for what I wanted in the text on the delrin part of the handle I should have left a space between the L and the hyphen and the I, so it looked like this L - I rather than L-I since it runs together to much. Oh well....
FotonDrv

Postby arcus on Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:42 pm

I seem to recall reading in this thread that tamping at 30lbs wasn't recommended. Is very consistent tamping pressure important on the L-I and what approx. pressure are you using?
arcus

Postby FotonDrv on Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:47 pm

arcus wrote:I seem to recall reading in this thread that tamping at 30lbs wasn't recommended. Is very consistent tamping pressure important on the L-I and what approx. pressure are you using?

I am not so sure about tamping pressure consistency being all that important, but grind is. The fineness of grind and the distribution of it is pretty important. You do not want instant gushers :shock:

A slow pre-infusion is far better than an instant gusher.
FotonDrv

Postby FotonDrv on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:15 am

I finally managed to stop the L-I yesterday. Coffeenoobie and Prof, along with their significant others, came over for an afternoon lunch grinder comparisons and demonstrating/testing the L-I.

We had a Zassenhaus and a Pharos and once we had them dialed in for the recently roasted Sweet Maria's that Prof provided we got to pulling shots for 6 people. Many, many 15g shots and after maybe 10 doubles, water wand demo and cleaning flushes we managed to bring the pressure down to almost zero. After about an 8 minute wait were were back to pulling more shots. with 2 people using 2 grinders and 1 person pulling shots we were entering the commercial category.

The shots came out great!

Thanks one and all for the participation!
FotonDrv

Postby fransg on Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:18 am

FotonDrv wrote:This stuff is so tough that I have fired it out of a cannon at 650fps with a round nosed piece of lead on it weighing 1-1/2 pounds. Not only did it survive but could have been used again!

Today my high-density military grade 650fps flatnose Londiniun I screen thumper arrived in the mail! A big Thankyou to Stephen.

I can't wait to try it on my very own L I someday soon...

fransg