Owner experience with Londinium I - Page 72

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Lowlander

#711: Post by Lowlander »

Possepat wrote: Nice spot for it! I see you have the recessed knockbox as well, very nice addition. What grinder is that you have?
Recessed knockbox is a "must have" once you're used to it. (like plumbed in)
This is a Cunill Rumba, is really quiet, the motor is mounted on rubbers and is standing free from the housing.
It has 60 mm flat burrs. The only negative thing is that it is really slow(1 gr/sec), but the grind stays nice and cool.
espresso time wrote: Not much room for error at the front of your machine.
Possepat wrote: Good thing the superior build quality and sheer weight of the L-I means it won't move around or get light on it's back feet.
All 4 feet are standing on the bench, no worries.
This baby is not moving :o

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#712: Post by FotonDrv »

Lowlander wrote:Here my experience after one week of use

First impression:
- looks good
- not so big (coming from a DC Super Mini)
- a lot of space inside

Pulling shots:
- I love pulling the lever, nice and smooth action
- from the 2nd shot my espresso improved
- really forgiving, channeling is something from the past
- the pucks come out really nice, can't wait to test it with a ridgeless basket
- the taste is more clear than I was used to, like going from 2 to 3 dimensional
- I love the depth of the drip tray

Steaming
- the steam arm is a bit short
- the steam arm on mine is a bit too loose for my taste
- I have no issues with the power of the steam, my DC has more.

Cleaning
- there is not so much cleaning to do, no back flushing.
- I do flush the group at the end of the session (after turning off the L-1) with
Ca 1/2 a liter
Mikel:

Thanks for participating in this "Owners Experience" Thread!

I too have a recessed knockbox and it doubles as a compost bucket in the kitchen. It is a large one, being 12" long x 6" wide and about 6" deep. Works great and does not move on the counter.

RoloD:

I finished a few of these this morning. Nothing fancy but nothing pushing on the center of that screen. Want one? PM me.

Stephen

ps. Just for grins I tried it on a hot machine and it did work, but it takes force! Wiggling it out with the flat blade screwdriver just might possibly be the least damaging or require the least amount of force since it required almost no force to use the screwdriver.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

Possepat

#713: Post by Possepat »

I just got some temp tags and the 4x1mm tip from Londinium tonight in the mail. The temp tags are awesome! Seem to be very accurate and I will NOT miss the thermometer.

The 4x1mm tip instantly changed my foam... instantly... first try and I think I may have gotten the best microfoam I've ever got. It had just the right amount of power for stretching and not too much for a nice swirl... I think the original tip was a bit too powerful and I couldn't seem to get a controlled whirlpool.

As evidence I made the Warden a latte in a tall to-go paper cup (she was heading out for a bit) and as she likes to nurse everything she drinks, it was still sitting around ~10 min later and instead of dissolving as per usual in 10-15 min (think straight milk in coffee) it was still very nicely incorporated and had a nice head of foam.

Just wanted to check in with an update and prod all of you for new findings/methods with the L-I.

Waiting for my HG-One... Craig emailed me to say it could be shipped early next week if we're lucky.

Cheers,
Pàdraig
"Do what you want, you're gonna do it anyways!" - My father

LMWDP #365

arcus

#714: Post by arcus »

I couldn't hold out any longer! Lever envy was invading my dreams so I ordered the L-I today. Now I need to rescan this thread and find those other items I need to get before it's arrival. Very exciting!

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#715: Post by FotonDrv replying to arcus »

You might need a 58mm tamper and that is about it. If your HG-One shows up in time for the L-I arrival it should a pretty nice party.

Congratulations!

Stephen

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#716: Post by FotonDrv »

Possepat wrote: Just wanted to check in with an update and prod all of you for new findings/methods with the L-I.

Waiting for my HG-One... Craig emailed me to say it could be shipped early next week if we're lucky.

Cheers,
Pàdraig
Pàdraig:

Thanks for the temp tag tips!

BTW, when did you order the HG-One? I ordered mine late in the scheme of things; Jan 3 so I don't expect it until next month.

Cheers!
Stephen

Possepat

#717: Post by Possepat »

Stephen,

The temp tags are indeed cool. I ordered mine on Dec 7th.
"Do what you want, you're gonna do it anyways!" - My father

LMWDP #365

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#718: Post by FotonDrv replying to Possepat »

Thanks for the info, temp tags might be in my future :)

arcus

#719: Post by arcus »

FotonDrv wrote:You might need a 58mm tamper and that is about it. If your HG-One shows up in time for the L-I arrival it should a pretty nice party.

Congratulations!

Stephen
Thanks Stephen! It turns out it was your L-I tamper I was trying to find in the thread. Unfortunately, I included a 58mm RB tamper w/ my E61 machine that I sold earlier this year so now I need to get another. Did you have to special order that?

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#720: Post by FotonDrv replying to arcus »

Arcus:
Yes, I did special order that "L-I" tamper, it is a RB. I selected the brass because it was heavy, which I like. You really don't need a special tamper and any 58mm would work IMHO, it's just bling :)
Stephen