Olympia Cremina Temperature Study Part 3 - Page 8

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
drgary
Team HB

#71: Post by drgary »

naked-portfilter wrote:I think one solution of limited temp profiling for the small levers is playing with the lenght of the preinfusion.
Useful finding. :D

I think you can add to that the rate of rise of boiler pressure/temperature. (There you have a closed system and are measuring steam.) If your boiler pressure is climbing rapidly during your pre-infusion you'll get a hotter pull. If you want to limit the heat of the preinfusion to a narrower range, climb it gradually with half pumps and you can even toggle off power just before your pull.
naked-portfilter wrote:But again, the thermocouples were not soldered. Otherwise I don't think we would get completely different measures with a perfectly made Scace thermofilter.
Agreed.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

naked-portafilter (original poster)

#72: Post by naked-portafilter (original poster) »

drgary wrote:I think you can add to that the rate of rise of boiler pressure/temperature. (There you have a closed system and are measuring steam.) If your boiler pressure is climbing rapidly during your pre-infusion you'll get a hotter pull. If you want to limit the heat of the preinfusion to a narrower range, climb it gradually with half pumps and you can even toggle off power just before your pull.
Morning Gary,

Can't you sleep :-)? It's very early hours over there. Isn't it?

Yeah, we could make it more complex and difficult of course :-). And you are right, we can add the boiler as well. But this wouldn't be a real temp profiling, I think. Do you think of more than one uninterrupted pull? I'm using a double basket and during preinfusion I do always 2-3 half pulls (not for the measures!). But that does not mean real profiling because during the pull there is no more option to play with the temperature. Is there any?

I think we could make a great burlesque: How to make a the perfect shot with a small lever? We would all ROTFLMFAO.

Advertisement
jonr

#73: Post by jonr »

Do you see the option to get a steady temp within the coffee cake with a small lever?
Since I don't consider a steady intra-brew temp (measured anywhere) a goal, I haven't thought about it. On the other hand, controllable and consistent intra-brew temps is something that all espresso machines should have. But it's difficult to do on many designs.

Thanks for the temperature graphs. They confirm that a flat temp profile above the grounds equates to a rising temperature profile within the grounds.

It would be interesting to see if you can measure how much effect the pre-brew temperature of the grounds has. It should be several degrees (measured within the grounds).

#74: Post by naked-portafilter (original poster) »

jonr wrote:consistent brew temp within the grounds (what really matters)
Maybe my poor English ...

I meant steady as consistent.

#75: Post by naked-portafilter (original poster) »

jonr wrote:It would be interesting to see if you can measure how much effect the pre-brew temperature of the grounds has. It should be several degrees (measured within the grounds).
You mean the pre-brew temp of the grounds? Making a measure with room temp grounds and another with warmer coffee-puck?

Don't do this with me, pls :-)!

After days of Temp Sensor spoiled espressi I could drink my first espresso without (thermocouples).

drgary
Team HB

#76: Post by drgary »

naked-portfilter wrote:Morning Gary,

Can't you sleep :-)? It's very early hours over there. Isn't it?

Sleep is interrupted by being in last phases of moving our house. Lots of thoughts and excitement. Posting on here interrupts motor mind. But back on topic.

The half pumps are to increase group temperature with steam without introducing water into the coffee cake and can even be done before locking in portafilter.
Gary
LMWDP#308

#77: Post by naked-portafilter (original poster) »

drgary wrote:The half pumps are to increase group temperature with steam without introducing water into the coffee cake and can even be done before locking in portafilter.
I do it regurarly to get the group faster to temperature but I don't understand how it works. Steam in the group (Tiger in Africa???? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLdk2C25Z14)? I thought it was water...

http://www.orphanespresso.com/Olympia-C ... 635-1.html

Gabor

Advertisement

#78: Post by naked-portafilter (original poster) »

O.k. I got it. But this drawing means it can be only water ....

From Lever Espresso Machines Smackdown

drgary
Team HB

#79: Post by drgary »

What temperature is that water and what happens to it when it's released into the lower pressure environment of the group? Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you're introducing steam into the group.
Gary
LMWDP#308

#80: Post by naked-portafilter (original poster) replying to drgary »

If you look at the picture you can see the tube going deep in the water. If you lift the lever half way you are pumping air (above the piston) out of the group in to the boiler. Pulling down/back the lever hot water comes back instead of air through the upper pipe. That's how I see at least.