The Olympia Cremina Rebuild That Wasn't

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#1: Post by jwCrema »

I bought a 1985 Cremina 67 on eBay last Friday for $795 from goesy2000. I was looking for a restoration project and thought this one looked decent from the pictures, but as Doug says in "So you bought a Cremina..." part 1, "you'll have buyers remorse." I sent the seller Doug's packing instructions and hoped for the best. I'd also queued up parts from OE, and a replacement portafilter from Richard Penney as the original was lost.

It arrived in Idaho today from New Jersey,

I was giggling like a kid over the stellar packing job they did - once I got through the packing materials I found a machine that's been in a time warp. It's a 1985 model, and clearly Marty McFly brought it with him. There are no signs the machine has ever been used. The filler cap gasket was still completely pliable, with only a touch of precipitate at the top on the brass. I'm not sure this was scale - more likely oxidation. The portafilter gasket is still shiny and new. Here is a collage of the parts, as I found them.

At this point I've decided to just do a mild descale and cleaning job as there is no scale in the boiler, nothing leaks and everything is tight/smooth. Mr Postman will bring me a gauge to check the PStat tomorrow.

At this point, I'm thinking I got a really good deal. :D

dumpshot
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by dumpshot »

Dang - congratulations! Great score. Love these stories.

Pete
LMWDP #484

Advertisement
cuppajoe

#3: Post by cuppajoe »

Nice! Sometimes the gods just smile...
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

forbeskm

#4: Post by forbeskm »

You did well! I picked up a 1984 recently for 700 on ebay, then added a needed rebuild kit onto it from OE. And the bottom metal tray needed to be sandblasted as it was rusted. Yours is spectacularly mint.

I sent the seller of mine the same packing instructions and it showed up ignoring all of them, handle still on and duct tape for packing tape :). Yours looks like they read everything Doug said and they actually executed on it! Wow really is all I can say.

jwCrema (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#5: Post by jwCrema (original poster) »

I should have mentioned that she included a note asking that I let her know when it arrived and if it was ok. This is what she said:
So so happy
Your message just made my day
Thank you so so so so much!
My sister helped me pack it- I couldn't have done it without her
Thank you
I find myself wanting to hug a complete stranger.

CoffeeBar

#6: Post by CoffeeBar »

congratulations Jack :D

sorrentinacoffee

#7: Post by sorrentinacoffee »

an NO asbestos on the BOILER! Superb machine- you lucked out!

Advertisement
Seed65

#8: Post by Seed65 »

Extremely jealous! Congrats!! :)

Mark08859

#9: Post by Mark08859 »

You struck the mother lode. Let us know how it works. Good luck with it.

bluesman

#10: Post by bluesman »

Like....wow, Dobie! That's a beauty - enjoy it!