Olympia Cremina Piston Service Tools

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
bobcraige

#1: Post by bobcraige »

Olympia Express offers a tool set for service of the piston group:

From left, the black tool screws onto the piston shaft to protect the group seal when inserting the piston. The center white tool compresses the piston seals when inserting the piston into the group. The aluminum tool on the right is used to install the piston seals onto the piston. The set of three tools is available on special order from Olympia Express for 140 CHF plus shipping.

It is not necessary to have these tools to service the piston group, but they make easy work of the job.
Bob Craige

LMWDP #7

roadman
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by roadman »

Thanks for that info Bob. I had no idea they sold these tools. Is there a way to find out about other tools and spare parts offered but not listed on the Olympia website? Or is this just a matter of contacting Markus?
Jon

bobcraige (original poster)

#3: Post by bobcraige (original poster) »

The only other tool is the cap mounted manometer which I believe I mentioned some time ago. It is also special order from Olympia Express and is 150CHF plus shipping. It is really essential to set up a machine. If you buy one, do not let it go to vacuum. That is, as the machine cools down, loosen the cap and vent the pressure before it goes into vacuum so as not to damage the gauge. This gauge is selected to give best resolution for setting accuracy, but is not designed to handle vacuum.

Bob Craige

LMWDP #7

TUS172

#4: Post by TUS172 »

Did you buy the cap mounted manometer seperately from the original cap or did you purchase it as shown in the photo? Is this something you leave on the cap at all times or only when you have serviced the machine and want to know if it is still "Tuned in" where you want it?
I have not torn apart one of the caps yet as I have not needed to service either of them. The older Cremina has a screw head that is obviously visible from the underside of the cap. However the '86 has no such thing and I am assuming that the top center of the cap must simply be a plug that can be removed and the screw is then exposed. I was just thinking that perhaps there may be some type of similar device on the maket that could be adapted at perhaps less cost.

Also the tool set for service of the piston group looks great! I just may head out to the shop for another go around on the lathe. I clipped off a sliver of the o-ring for the piston shaft on installation and am expecting a premature leakage... The next time in those few tools would be a real time, energy and part saver... Thanks for sharing them...
Bob C.
(No longer a lever purist!)
LMWDP #012

roadman
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by roadman »

TUS172 wrote:I clipped off a sliver of the o-ring for the piston shaft on installation and am expecting a premature leakage... The next time in those few tools would be a real time, energy and part saver... Thanks for sharing them...
Yep, did the same thing here the first time. After about 2 months got a bit of steam coming out by the piston rod. When I replaced the seal I noticed the piece of tape inside the group. The second time I pulled the tape out before reinstalling and I didn't cut the seal, but now after 10 months it's leaking slightly again. I'm very grateful that Bob mentioned the tools. Now maybe this time I'll get it right!
Jon

timo888

#6: Post by timo888 »

bobcraige wrote:The only other tool is the cap mounted manometer which I believe I mentioned some time ago. It is also special order from Olympia Express and is 150CHF plus shipping. It is really essential to set up a machine. If you buy one, do not let it go to vacuum. That is, as the machine cools down, loosen the cap and vent the pressure before it goes into vacuum so as not to damage the gauge. This gauge is selected to give best resolution for setting accuracy, but is not designed to handle vacuum.

<image>
Does the cap/manometer include the cap-mounted valve that vents heated air from the boiler, to eliminate false pressure?

Regards
Timo