Olympia Cremina fulfills my coffee lust

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
FirstBetta

#1: Post by FirstBetta »

I am amazed, flabbergasted and real happy with my Cremina, so much so I'm considering retiring my BDB. My grandson has first dibs.

I also have some questions, what else?

Even with multiple half pumps I have difficulty in reaching the 90 deg indicator on the OE temp strips The taste is getting better all the time so this is kinda of a second order question.

I've been fully indoctrinated with several sneezes but got that under control. I kinda remember someone mentioning using cork gasket material to retain the basket in the PF but can't find it. If someone could point it out or link. It would be superb.

How do I join the Lever Espresso machine group here?

Has anybody got the Cremina pressure gauge cap from Cerini? I would appreciate any reaction to its use.

I thought everybody was over hyping the enjoyment of actually pulling a shot with a lever, but I'm over that.

Sign me - Lever convert.

Richard

#2: Post by Richard »

FirstBetta wrote:Even with multiple half pumps I have difficulty in reaching the 90 deg indicator on the OE temp strips.
It could be that the temp strips are located in a less-than-helpful location. Or it could be that the pressurestat is set too low.
-- Richard

Bob_M

#3: Post by Bob_M »

FirstBetta wrote:
Even with multiple half pumps I have difficulty in reaching the 90 deg indicator on the OE temp strips .
With my 2015 Cremina I pull shots at about 86 degrees C. I find that temp to be just right and easy to attain.

dominico
Team HB

#4: Post by dominico »

FirstBetta wrote:I am amazed, flabbergasted and real happy with my Cremina, so much so I'm considering retiring my BDB. My grandson has first dibs.

I also have some questions, what else?

Even with multiple half pumps I have difficulty in reaching the 90 deg indicator on the OE temp strips The taste is getting better all the time so this is kinda of a second order question.
The exact location of your temp strip on the group will play into what the temp strip says vs what the actual water temp will be. You will have to learn what your particular temp strip will say to equal a cool shot, hot shot, etc. That said, it is also possible you have to bleed a bit of trapped air out of the boiler to get the group up to temp more quickly. When the light kicks off, open the steam wand into a jug for 10 seconds or so. If the pressure drops substantially then there was trapped air in there. Even if you have an anti vacuum valve bleeding the boiler is a good idea, it will also help your preinfusion pressure.
FirstBetta wrote: I've been fully indoctrinated with several sneezes but got that under control. I kinda remember someone mentioning using cork gasket material to retain the basket in the PF but can't find it. If someone could point it out or link. It would be superb.
They might mean cork tape, but I haven't seen anyone use cork tape in their portafilter before.
Does your portafilter have a groove along the inside to put a portafilter clip? I don't think my spouted Olympia portafilter does, but my 3rd party naked portafilter does.
If you have a groove you could put a clip in there.
FirstBetta wrote: How do I join the Lever Espresso machine group here?
If you would like a LMWDP number, go here and follow the instructions in red text at the top of the first page: LMWDP Rollcall

Of course, you don't need to do that to be part of "the club", lever machine enthusiasts will be happy to consider you as one of their own simply by interacting with them :)
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

Katoci

#5: Post by Katoci »

I have the temp strip on the front ower part of the group, and rarely start the shot a group surface temperature above 175-185 F (80-85 C). Withdark roast it's usually goes down to 160-165 F (70-75 C). I don't know the boiler pressure, but it operates at 248-251 F (120-122 C).
Bleeding the false pressure is a must for these machines, the trapped air will keep the boiler pressure low (not sure about the phisics behind it), and it can cause cold, underextracted and inconsistent shots.

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#6: Post by jwCrema »

FirstBetta wrote:Even with multiple half pumps I have difficulty in reaching the 90 deg indicator on the OE temp strips The taste is getting better all the time so this is kinda of a second order question.
If you're serious about this - 8) then I suggest taking the time to soak in this thread Olympia Cremina Temperature Study Part 3. The short version is there is some latency with a temperature rise in a half pump, (in addition to strip placement on the head). I stopped using the temp strip after this post and do everything on timing.

I am not sure that Cerini gauge is ever "in stock." But, there is a recent thread on the Naked gauge here Olympia Cremina piston pressure gauge unboxing. I concur with Domino's finding that a 15 sec preinfuse, with the use of this gauge giving feedback on the lever pressure, has taken our cups to a new level.

bas

#7: Post by bas »

Yes do not aim for 90 deg. With my 2007 model I measured around 93 degrees intra shot at a max 0.9 bar boiler setting and 80 degrees GHT.

With my Strietman CT1 I usually pull at lower temps. About 90 degrees.

Although the newer Cremina's do not suffer from overheating I find them difficult to use for low temp shots. Lowering boiler pressure is not an option as both preinfusion and steam power suffer form lower settings. For medium hot and hot shots it's a great machine.

In the end the CT1 is my favourite machine.

Katoci

#8: Post by Katoci »

If you want a realtively cold shot, there are two options. Or start when the had is warming up (lowest ever starting temp was 70 C), or you need a towel with cold water. Not very user friendly, but managable for a few shots.

dominico
Team HB

#9: Post by dominico »

I rapidly cool the group using the "Pavlis" ramekin with cold water method.

Prep your portafilter for the next shot.
Fill a ramekin or small dish with cool water place it up under the group.
Then you lift the lever about halfway (but not far enough that it will open the passage for boiler water to enter) which draws the cool water up into the group chamber. You can pump the lever up and down a bit to cycle the cool water. This drops the group temp quite rapidly.
Get it a few degrees where you want to pull, remove the dish, wipe the excess water from the screen if you desire, then pull your shot.

Between this technique and the "heat the group" half pumps I can get the group to pretty much any temperature I want within a minute or so.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

FirstBetta (original poster)

#10: Post by FirstBetta (original poster) »

Thanks to all of you for the info. I'll have to digest it and then see how I can incorporate it into my pulls. Thanks again.