Olympia Cremina arrived today

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
bronsht

#1: Post by bronsht »

FedEx came late. Waited all day. Calmly. Read the manual. Decided to have an evening sip so I guess I won't be able to sleep later on. But I couldn't wait until tomorrow. The shot was not great but I enjoyed it. The crema was good. I only ran one full pull through double basket. I started with 15 grams but could not get the pf installed so I scraped out some until I could. I reckon 14 grams ought to do well next time.

First impressions:
The set up came with a pretty but light tamper which I did not expect. On its bottom it has a divot, a medium sratch, and a couple small scratches. Did not seem to make much difference but my first impression was that I was disappointed. I will get over it.

The pf and either basket do not mount easily (empty) and they end up just off of 6pm. Sort of 5:45pm. Without the baskets, the pf turns to about 4:30 which is probably where it should be. Maybe with continual heat the pf will work itself in. I felt in a precarious position as I pulled my first shot thinking the whole shebang was going to blast off, splatter all over. It did not.

The pf is pretty flimsy compared to the rest of the machine but I am used to the Rancilio and the Giotto so I will get used to this.

The pf with basket sets up directly under or just to the left of the lever and as I struggle to turn it to the right it hits the lever. Just seems as I am doing something wrong. I don't think Swiss workmanship would not have thought that out. Can someone advise me if I am doing it incorrectly?

Can't wait to play with it some more.

dino

#2: Post by dino »

handle hitting the lever ? - lift the lever up to just before water escapes the group head , lock in handle and then continue lifting the lever - that way you are not drawing air through the coffee puck :lol:

bronsht (original poster)

#3: Post by bronsht (original poster) »

Right! Lifted lever just a tad and solved that problem but portafilter still only turns about 1/4 inch to the right with the filter basket installed.

Had a cappa and then ground a little finer and had an espresso. Not bad but need to work on the grind. Lovely machine.

RioCruz

#4: Post by RioCruz »

Oh goody! Something new to play with the next time we visit!!! :)
"Nobody loves your coffee more than you do."
~James Freeman, Blue Bottle

bronsht (original poster)

#5: Post by bronsht (original poster) »

Rio,
You two better stop by after your sojourn down south. Bring pics.

RioCruz

#6: Post by RioCruz »

Claro que sí! :)
"Nobody loves your coffee more than you do."
~James Freeman, Blue Bottle