OEM-style Caravel Bottomless Portafilter

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by JohnB. »

Since the other Caravel bottomless thread is locked I started a new one. http://www.brooks-espressomachines.nl/ will soon be offering what looks to be a very nice bottomless P/F based on the original P/F design. Testing of the preproduction models will begin shortly & if all goes well Thijs hopes to start accepting pre orders in 2 weeks. Deliveries would start 6-8 weeks later, sooner if there are no issues. Cost will be 75€ ($100) + shipping.

I'll post some more information on the pre order date as it becomes available. Address any specific questions to Thijs as I've told you all I know at this point.
LMWDP 267

JohnB. (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by JohnB. (original poster) »

I'm surprised that there haven't been any comments on this new option. I like the idea of an OEM style bottomless myself.
LMWDP 267

[creative nickname]

#3: Post by [creative nickname] »

I definitely have my eye on one of these. It would be nice to have a bottomless PF that matches the original aesthetic. Do you know if they have any plans to make OEM style baskets as well? I bet the market for new baskets would be substantial.
LMWDP #435

JohnB. (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by JohnB. (original poster) »

I believe they will soon have new single baskets. I didn't ask about the doubles as I had one but I'll check & see what he says.
LMWDP 267

doubleOsoul

#5: Post by doubleOsoul »

And $100 is something I can live with.

SimonPatrice

#6: Post by SimonPatrice »

It looks pretty interesting indeed. I'm just worried about what the shipping costs could be like to Canada. But shipping costs aside, I'd sure like one.
Patrice
LMWDP #428

[creative nickname]

#7: Post by [creative nickname] »

I have one single basket, and wish I had a second for the caravel I keep at work. It is the perfect size and dose for an afternoon pick me up. I think a lot of caravel owners would enjoy trying one out, as they are far rarer than the doubles these days.
LMWDP #435

dumpshot
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by dumpshot »

Just getting used to my $185 bottomless that I waited a year and a half for. :shock:

But seriously, Thijs does nice work and that looks like a fine addition to anyone's Caravel arsenal.

Hoping for a double basket as well.

Pete
LMWDP #484

SimonPatrice

#9: Post by SimonPatrice »

[creative nickname] wrote:I have one single basket, and wish I had a second for the caravel I keep at work. It is the perfect size and dose for an afternoon pick me up. I think a lot of caravel owners would enjoy trying one out, as they are far rarer than the doubles these days.
Slightly OT but what's your usual in/out with the single basket? Single or multiple pulls?

Thanks!
Patrice
LMWDP #428

[creative nickname]

#10: Post by [creative nickname] »

My typical "single" uses 11-12g in the basket and 1 full pull, yielding 16-18g output. (I often put "single" in quotes because it is more of a "1.5" compared to the standard double basket, which holds 15g at most.)
LMWDP #435