Nomad Portable Espresso Machine (Kickstarter)

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
RioCruz

#1: Post by RioCruz »

"Nobody loves your coffee more than you do."
~James Freeman, Blue Bottle

Hugonl28

#2: Post by Hugonl28 »

Hmmm.. The odd shape might make it difficult to fit into your handbag...
You'll need a grinder too, and a water heater of some sorts.
How's durability with plastic parts?
Of course price is probably what will win people over, because I'm comparing it to the Portaspresso Rossa PG with the Rosco mini hand grinder at 850US.

As an example, this is how small my whole setup gets:

And this stuff lasts forever and is easy to clean, makes espresso that rivals my Strega.

Just saying, there is some competition out there, and this doesn't awe me at all.

Advertisement
jerbear00

#3: Post by jerbear00 »

Tough crowd ;)

Looks intriguing at least

redpig

#4: Post by redpig »

jerbear00 wrote:Looks intriguing at least
If it stays in a reasonable price range, it seems like a good backup device to me (throw it on the pile!). Since they stopped taking preorders quite a while ago (on their website), I'm expecting the price to go up a good bit. If it does, it'll be even less appealing when held next to an amazingly well made portaspresso or a faemina baby off ebay.it.

Regardless, I'm glad to see that they are finally, almost shipping!
Hugonl28 wrote:this is how small my whole setup gets
If you don't mind sharing -- roughly what are the dimensions of the portaspresso-kit you've laid out there? (E.g., is that a 13.3" MBP or ...?) I'd love to know about how deep/tall too. I've been trying to figure out the best carry-on arrangement, and it'd be great to know roughly what the displaced volume is - thanks!
LMWDP #411

Hugonl28

#5: Post by Hugonl28 »

Hi Will,

That's a MBP 13". I measured it out because I wanted to get a Pelican Case 1450 for it (interior 14x10x6 inches). It fits easily inside that case, with enough space around every part for protection. But now I just wrap the parts in kitchen towels and tuck it in my hand luggage, so I can spread it out in different parts and it doesn't take an extra bag. I usually take a little 0,5 liter water kettle with me that's dual voltage, lightweight, small and has a switch to control it easily (http://www.amazon.com/Severin-WK-3644-k ... 00ARYZH4S/).
Together with my Aeropress and some beans everything fits inside one small handbag.
Here's it all set up on a typical hotel room table, only the shock pump is in the drawer.

Haven't found a better alternative mobile espresso setup so far, but I'll always keep my eyes open :D

redpig

#6: Post by redpig »

Hugonl28 wrote:Haven't found a better alternative mobile espresso setup so far, but I'll always keep my eyes open :D
Thanks for the pictures and details! I'm always on the lookout, and so far have either brought a Caravel (road trip only) or used a little Velox 2-cup electric moka pot. I keep looking at the Rossa, but on my next trip I'm going to see how well the Faemina Baby travels. I'll take some pictures and let you know how it holds up against the Rossa size-wise! :)
LMWDP #411

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by samuellaw178 »

redpig wrote:Thanks for the pictures and details! I'm always on the lookout, and so far have either brought a Caravel (road trip only) or used a little Velox 2-cup electric moka pot. I keep looking at the Rossa, but on my next trip I'm going to see how well the Faemina Baby travels. I'll take some pictures and let you know how it holds up against the Rossa size-wise!
Having owned both (not simultaneously), Faemina Baby has a little more width to it compared to Rossa. For travel, the Rossa takes lesser volume than the Baby, fitting nicely into most carry case. Both with each pros and cons.The good thing about Baby is that it could take a lot of beating and not suffer, since it's basically an alloy frame. The good thing about Rossa is that the espresso is much thicker & heavier bodied (and soft when you use lower pressure) ; where as the Faemina is pretty much stuck on delicate soft espresso (still the real espresso nonetheless). Temperature management is easier on the Rossa too.

As for the Nomad,it looks like a great unit. Only concern was the durability as mentioned. But it's intriguing enough that I am following up its development closely. Waiting for the first actual user review once it has reached one of us!

Advertisement
IMAWriter

#8: Post by IMAWriter replying to samuellaw178 »

Most likely, the inevitable Nomad v Rok shootout! :lol:
Figures I sold my Penney 49.4mm tamper with the Cremina. That was a SWEET tamper.

zix

#9: Post by zix »

Oh yes, another pile of plastic.
Nomad Salesguy wrote: The True Crema Valve system is a proprietary technology researched, developed, and perfected by UniTerra Inc. It is not seen in any other espresso machine.
Maybe, but pressurised portafilter baskets are. Of course, this machine is not built with a portafilter....

Sigh. I find it sad that even with Kickstarter and similar crowd funding startup helpers, this is what most people seem to want. Are we so lost and so easily fooled? (And the answer is if course Yes! Me too.)

Naah, the Bacchi will go with us this year too. Although, of course, a simple Primus burner would be fine, the Trangia stove is very useful, and a very suitable little travelling gas stove for the Bacchi (with the DIY Bacchi Trangia Zix Support made from some surplus graphic card steel brackets found in two old computers).
Possibly, I would consider upgrading to the Lido 2. But I have a hard time convincing myself it is worth it throwing more money into the travel kit, the Lido 1 is doing a really good job so far.

Not that I would mind having a Rosco Espresso kit... It looks really nice, Hugo!
LMWDP #047

damonbowe

#10: Post by damonbowe »

If we're being honest here, a lot of what passes for "portable" in the espresso world requires a small suitcase. The only way I'd portage some of these collections is if I was taking a large car to my destination.