Nomad Portable Espresso Machine (Kickstarter) - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
sgmonkey

#11: Post by sgmonkey »

Seems that they are shipping now...anyone care to post a review? :D

IMAWriter

#12: Post by IMAWriter »

"I....Am....NOMAD!"

Looking forward to a review from an HB'er as well. However, if the "reviewer" has less than 3 posts.....??

sgmonkey

#13: Post by sgmonkey »

If Nomad is listening....please send HB one for a review!!! :D :) :D

sgmonkey

#14: Post by sgmonkey »

Anyone got a nomad? Care to post some pictures and reviews? =))

UltramaticOrange

#15: Post by UltramaticOrange »

The owner of Buzz: Killer Espresso posted a tweet this morning:
Buzz Killer Espresso wrote:Nomad espresso maker. Nice concept, very good execution and impressive effect in the cup (with a little practice...)
I think he'd let me dabble with it, so maybe I'll swing by the shop with my Lido 2 and see what a mobile shot would be like.
If your tiny coffee is so great, then why don't you drink more of it?

Eastsideloco

#16: Post by Eastsideloco »

UltramaticOrange

#17: Post by UltramaticOrange »

EDIT: The below observations were made with the "True Crema Valve" (read: pressurized "portafilter") attached!

The owner of Buzz: Killer Espresso was kind enough to loan me his Nomad. I've only pulled about 5 or 6 shots, but so far I'm really impressed. I'm pulling better shots with the Nomad than I am with my Livietta (but that's a topic for another thread).

So, here's a few thoughts so far:
Roughly every-other shot has turned out quite tasty (better than my Livietta, worse than a Strega). The sink-shots have been due to my lack of barista skills and not at all the fault of the machine.

The insulation for the hot-water reservoir works better than I expected. The overall construction and durability is better than photos led me to believe, and are on-par with the descriptions I've read to date.

It's very easy to imagine myself building a kit around this guy that'd be suitable for a hotel bathroom or kitchenette. I think for camping, I'd stick with pour-over, but with a decent supply of paper towel (in lieu of a sink), taking it camping would certainly work.

A travel kit for/with the Nomad would almost certainly be bigger than any other travel brew kit. This is partially due to the awkward shape and bulk of the Nomad, but also because spare shot glasses are a must as there's no good way to end a shot; best you can do is swap cups to catch the slow dribble out of the machine. I might just suggest a pack of bathroom sized dixie cups, but I'm not sure they're short enough for the height of the Nomad's spout.

Every puck I've knocked out of the filter basket has had the same (shape and location) curious dent in the top. This suggests that shower screen isn't doing much to disperse the water evenly. Still, the shots taste good (~3sec pre-infusion), so I guess that's not a big deal.

I've managed to pull some good shots using both my Lido 2 and my HG-One. I think the Lido 2 is considerably trickier, but I think has more to do with the fact I haven't used my Lido enough to be able to dial it in well

I thought it curious that the filter basket (49mm) has its own gasket. It's obvious why it's there, but the Nomad doesn't come with extras. Also worth mentioning, I don't see an obvious way of getting at the shower head to take it apart for cleaning ... and anyone who has neglected doing that for too long knows why I mention it.

I'll be hanging on to the Nomad for a few days, so let me know if there's anything specific I should try/check.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by yakster »

Can you post some pictures of the shots you make? How's the crema?
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

UltramaticOrange

#19: Post by UltramaticOrange »

UltramaticOrange

#20: Post by UltramaticOrange »

yakster wrote:Can you post some pictures of the shots you make? How's the crema?
I don't think it'd be fair for me to comment on crema just yet. The coffee I was pulling at Buzz was from an open bag, and the coffee I've currently got is at or past the 2 week mark. I'll be sure to nab something fresh to give a fair assessment.