Newbie Introduction to Espresso - Lever Espresso Machines [video] - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
drgary
Team HB

#11: Post by drgary »

TomC wrote:All credit for the lever boiler refilling trick goes to someone else much more clever than I. I just remember reading it here and nearly slapping my forehead in awe about how obvious it should have been.
I wonder if someone slaps their forehead in a Fellini movie? :mrgreen:
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

RioCruz

#12: Post by RioCruz »

mathof wrote:Italian espresso is typically made with 7g of beans for a single, and 14g for a double. I think the confusion comes from the fact that English-speaking countries have taken to using much more coffee to make an espresso and with that has come a change in nomenclature. It's not a problem after you learn to allow for context.
Thanks, Matt! These dosages are what I have found give me the best taste from my machines, too...altho I tend to prefer the doubles at an even smaller dose...12-13g...for both the Pavoni and the Riviera.
"Nobody loves your coffee more than you do."
~James Freeman, Blue Bottle

DanoM

#13: Post by DanoM »

TomC wrote:All credit for the lever boiler refilling trick goes to someone else much more clever than I. I just remember reading it here and nearly slapping my forehead in awe about how obvious it should have been.
That *might* have been me that posted it a few times. I started doing it on the La Pavoni and really liked how it worked out when refilling - although I rarely have to hot fill the unit. I won't try to take credit for the original idea, as I'm sure many have come across that realization.

As for the fellini move... Everyone has their own technique, but I never found it to be as delicious as a straight pull. I tried and tried to get it right, then I slapped my head and said, "Stop that you idiot!" :shock:

If you are getting into lever machines the spring levers are really nice. Nothing wrong with a manual lever, but the spring (Strega in my case) pumps out repeatable shot after repeatable shot - all of them absolutely delicious. This machine and it's paired K10 will definitely be moving to Japan with us!
LMWDP #445

DeGaulle

#14: Post by DeGaulle »

Once more a very informative video Dan. What strikes me is how Phil has gained confidence in demonstrating his technique, even though it is limited to the grinding part. He could just as well take on these videos by himself :) One thing's for sure, he is no newbie anymore. Looking forward to some feedback from his side on using a lever.
What I have been wondering about is the maintenance thing on these machines. I take it since there is no 3 way valve there is no backflushing. Do you need to do more cleaning behind the screen compared to a pump-driven machine or will consistent screen flushing and scrubbing in between shots be sufficient and use a detergent just occasionally whenever you change a group gasket?
Bert

dominico
Team HB

#15: Post by dominico »

drgary wrote: Heat break gaskets are standard issue these days in Olympia Express Cremina and Ponte Vecchio Export home levers.
Do you know where I could order one of these gaskets? I'd like to install one on my Riviera. As I understand it my Riviera and the PV Export have the same group.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by FotonDrv »

Beezer wrote:Nice video. I had to laugh at Dan's reference to Fellini as [paraphrasing] "some guy in an Italian movie" though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federico_Fellini

Only one of the most successful and influential directors of all time. :)
I spotted that too. Apparently Dan is not a movie buff :) Great video person though!
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

crazy4espresso

#17: Post by crazy4espresso »

I just thought Fellini was a member on the board who pioneered the technique. :oops:
"I would rather suffer with coffee than be senseless." — Napoleon Bonaparte
LMWDP #427

dominico
Team HB

#18: Post by dominico »

I still think the barista was just flushing the group, I don't actually think there was any coffee in it.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?