New Olympia Cremina owner- trouble making decent lattes

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Patagent

#1: Post by Patagent »

Hi,

I recent purchased a new Cremina (my first machine paired with HG1) and I'm having trouble making decent hot latte. I enjoy the espresso shots (single and double) and iced lattes but anything hot tastes flat and slightly bitter.
They all taste like bad cappuccinos to me.

I'm using about 15-16.5g of coffee while getting approximately 1.5 oz of espresso. Since I'm new to the whole home barista thing, I fear that I'm making a very simple mistake. I've tried both 2% and whole milk with several different beans all freshly roasted. Any ideas on what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks,
Patagent

OzarkTroutBum

#2: Post by OzarkTroutBum »

Are you scorching your milk? Optimal temp is 150-160.
I use a thermometer designed for steaming and it really simplifies life.

Boldjava

#3: Post by Boldjava »

Amount of milk being steamed?

Technique you are using? Where do you start the wand, how you are incorporating air into milk, when are you sinking the wand, at what temp, etc.

Clearing your wand of false pressure/water buildup before steaming?
-----
LMWDP #339

Patagent (original poster)

#4: Post by Patagent (original poster) »

Thanks for the replies.

I haven't checked the temperature yet. I'll get a thermometer and check it soon.

As far as my technique goes:

I usually wait for about a minute after I pull a shot before steaming the milk. I quickly open up and close the steam wand once or twice before lowering the wand into the center of my Motta pitcher (17 ounce). I try to keep the tip of the steam wand just below the surface of the milk at all times. I do this until the pitcher becomes very hot to the touch. It produces milk that is sometimes just warm and at times very hot. I get a decent amount of foam (not a fan foam).

erics
Supporter ★

#5: Post by erics »

That's a quality steaming pitcher but a tad large - try a 12 oz Motta filled with about 4 ounces of milk.

I have been successfully steaming milk for many years and I always use a thermometer BUT most home barista's and pros do not. Submerge the tip until you reach ~ 90-100 and then stretch the milk to 150 MAX with the tip less immersed.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

OzarkTroutBum

#6: Post by OzarkTroutBum »

erics wrote: BUT most home barista's and pros do not.
I wish more "pros" did use them. After being handed a cup at the local shop that I was sure was 200 degrees I suggested to the owner as nicely as I could that they may be scorching the milk. They looked at me like I was stupid and told me that their clientele preferred them to be hot.
Maybe they do, but I am not their clientele anymore because of it.

mathof

#7: Post by mathof »

erics wrote: I have been successfully steaming milk for many years and I always use a thermometer BUT most home barista's and pros do not. Submerge the tip until you reach ~ 90-100 and then stretch the milk to 150 MAX with the tip less immersed.
What works, works; but it intrigues me that the above advice is the opposite of what I usually see. I thought the idea was to stretch the milk first, with the tip skimming the surface, until ~ 90-100, and then to plunge the tip lower to create a whirlpool that mixes the air throughout while heating the milk to 150 MAX.

JustinBrown1

#8: Post by JustinBrown1 »

I'm with you, Matt. Your technique is what I do, and seems to be the most commonly used one. I do not use a thermometer, but use my hand as one. The beauty of making a good coffee (in all it's variations) is the knowledge and skill/expertise that goes into it.

Mike, it may take a little time before you reach the results that you hope for, but by being patient, the journey will be more rewarding. Making a cup of coffee on a lever machine is ultimately an "analogue" experience, that takes a little time in understanding how to get the best out of your machine and the techniques used.
LMWDP 419

erics
Supporter ★

#9: Post by erics »

For Matt H. -

You are correct and I was wrong . . . maybe I am accidently successful. :) . The author of the article linked below does have a nice pedigree.

http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2012/04/c ... -home.html
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Patagent (original poster)

#10: Post by Patagent (original poster) »

Thanks for the suggestions.

I finally picked up a decent thermometer (the first one I bought was too slow) and started steaming milk better. The lattes taste much better but I have a follow-up question:

I'm using Intelligentsia Fruit Bat beans. A double shot goes really well with iced milk. I can really taste the coffee-like flavors. When I make a hot latte, the creamy coffee-like flavors gets masked. The fruity flavors get masked too but I get hints of it. How can I get the coffee-like flavors to come out in my hot lattes as well?