New Olympia Cremina owner- trouble making decent lattes - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Eastsideloco

#11: Post by Eastsideloco »

When I make a hot latte, the creamy coffee-like flavors gets masked. The fruity flavors get masked too but I get hints of it. How can I get the coffee-like flavors to come out in my hot lattes as well?
How much milk are you using?

The judges at barista competitions are looking for a "a harmonious balance of rich sweet milk/espresso." And the rules require that baristas serve a cappuccino that is 5 - 6 ounces (150-180 ml).

If you are serving a latte that has a much greater volume than this, it stands to reason that you will begin to lose the "harmonious balance" between espresso and milk. (Keep in mind that the regulation 30ml competition espresso shot is also likely a larger volume than what you are pulling on your Cremina.)

The Naked Baker

#12: Post by The Naked Baker »

Hi,

I find that making coffee ....especially with a lever machine ,is much more of a "feel thing "than a "think thing "

I suggest watching videos of really good baristas with the sound off so all the talking is out of the way..reading the reply's and links on this forum .

Then STOPTHINKING ABOUT IT....and just play ...expect to stuff it up completely many many times ...I wouldn't even pull a shot ...grab about 5 litres of milk put on some great music and froth milk and dump it in the sink over and over again

You will be surprised at how quickly you will improve when you take all the presure off yourself ..

The last thing you want to do is invite someone over who likes good coffee because then you will be so tied up in nots and so up in your head thinking that you won't be able to feel the subtle changes in technique required to make good milk .

I hope this helps you mate

All the best

Dave

drgary
Team HB

#13: Post by drgary »

I'm surprised no one has pointed Mike at the videos in our Tips & Techniques FAQs section. Mike, have you seen these? They may help.

How to Steam Milk for Cappuccinos and Lattes [video]

Learning latte art with steamed soapy water [video]

You can control heat without a thermometer by holding the steaming pitcher by the bottom with one hand. When it starts to get uncomfortably warm you stop the process. I also like to get a swirling motion going, starting the tip slightly towards the side and incorporating air, then plunging it further down in the milk. This evenly heats the milk, distributes the air through it and helps prevent scorching.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!