New La Pavoni Europiccola owner with questions!

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
thCapn

#1: Post by thCapn »

New to the forum as well. I know I could probably find the answers to my questions using the search function and digging around for another couple hours, so advance apologies for asking what are most likely some of the same ol' questions.

I bought the unit used on Ebay. It has an amber lighted power rocker switch and a I/II rocker switch below that. The instruction booklet I downloaded refers to a green light that switches off when the unit is ready. There isn't a green light on mine, so I thought the amber lighted rocker would switch off, but that doesn't happen. Instead, the unit spits steam out of the escape valve.

Is that supposed to be my indicator that the unit is ready to use? I've tried it that way, with very limited success. Here's my experience.

1. Switch on and power to II.
2. Once the escape valve starts to spit, set power to I.
3. Release any "false pressure" through the wand, then pre-heat the head and porta-filter by raising the lever for a couple seconds.
4. Grind, fill and tamp. FWIW, I have a Breville grinder. It isn't super fancy but does a good job. I set the grind at six notches back from the finest setting. Eyeballing the grind, I'd say it's about what I see in commercially ground coffee for espresso. I am careful not to over-tamp and, if anything, I'd guess I'm underdoing it.
5. Twist on the porta-filter and raise the lever.

Here's where something doesn't add up. I raise the lever and can let it sit there for 30-plus seconds but nothing comes through. I'd expect to see the first dribblings at least by 20, if not 30 seconds.

Perhaps I'm still grinding too fine but I'm wondering if the unit is developing proper pressure. The seller assured me it was recently serviced and it excellent operating condition.

Any thoughts?

--
Dave

agreenspan99

#2: Post by agreenspan99 »

Hi there. I don't know about the light or the rocker switch (I used to have a Millenium model,) but I can tell you that you will not always see drips before you apply pressure. It depends on the bean, freshness, grind, etc...
In fact, every time I DID see some drops before I pulled the lever down, it ended up being a thin shot.

homeburrero
Team HB

#3: Post by homeburrero »

thCapn wrote: The instruction booklet I downloaded refers to a green light that switches off when the unit is ready.
That instruction is for a newer machine that has a pStat. Your older one is ready when you hear it hissing.
thCapn wrote:I raise the lever and can let it sit there for 30-plus seconds but nothing comes through. I'd expect to see the first dribblings at least by 20, if not 30 seconds.
I would not worry about that. My preference on these machines runs towards tight ristretto-ish shots and I can pre-infuse a long tome and see no drops until I start to pull. However, I think it is an indication that you might want to try grinding a little coarser and see if that improves the taste.
thCapn wrote:3....then pre-heat the head and porta-filter by raising the lever for a couple seconds.
This is a very important step that you will want to do carefully and reproducibly. I raise the lever for just a few ml to flow, wait a second, then do it again, watching a temp strip that I have on the grouphead. If I'm starting with a cold group I do three little flushes. Everyone has their own method for this group-heating step, but is important that it be controlled so you don't overheat or underheat the group. To master this, you may want to look into using a temp strip or group thermometer.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

rpavlis

#4: Post by rpavlis »

When properly ground, you would never seen espresso flowing until you apply pressure to the handle. If it come out on its own right away, the grind is too coarse.

You seem to have a machine with the 1974-2000 group. In my opinion those are wonderful machines for making one or two cups because it is fast! There is a tendency to overheat after two cups, but that can be managed quite easily, you can find threads on that here. I posted an item in this recently:

La Pavoni newbie problem with bitter/sour espresso

One further point, as mentioned in the previous post, when the boiler is up to pressure steam should hiss from the pressure relief valve before you should turn off the 800 watt element. It typically takes three or four minutes for the group to be up to temperature after you bleed the air from the group.

crazy4espresso

#5: Post by crazy4espresso »

Hi and welcome,

Congrats on the machine. Your grinder, I'm afraid to say, is not going to cut it. Reproducing results is going to be very difficult, if you can even pull a decent shot with it. It might grind coffee very fine, but that doesn't mean it's any good for espresso. Consider upgrading the grinder, which is the most important piece of equipment for espresso, as soon as you can.
"I would rather suffer with coffee than be senseless." — Napoleon Bonaparte
LMWDP #427

thCapn (original poster)

#6: Post by thCapn (original poster) »

Thanks for the replies! I appreciate the input. Duly noted on the pre-infusion, drip-through and grind. I will get a temp strip to watch that as well.

The grinder will have to suffice for now. It's finest setting is far too fine (couldn't even pull the lever down) and the consistency of the grind is good, albeit not perfect. Such is life, eh?

homeburrero
Team HB

#7: Post by homeburrero »

thCapn wrote:I will get a temp strip to watch that as well.
They come in two ranges - 60C - 90C, and 90C - 120C. You definitely want the 60-90 range.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

rpavlis

#8: Post by rpavlis »

Also, with these two switch models you do not need to bleed steam from the steam wand, it bleeds itself through the pressure relief valve. You still need to raise the handle to purge the air out of the top of the group just after steam starts pouring from the pressure relief valve, raise and let just a bit of water come out through the bottom of the group, then slowly bring the handle back down. Then let it warm up a few minutes (3 to 4 probably).

Also sometimes the pressure relief valves with steel ball seals leak badly. That will cause erratic pressure and highly unreproducable espresso. You can purchase a plastic replacement that is dramatically better, for a very very low price from various espresso service places like Stafanos and OE.

Thomas K.

#9: Post by Thomas K. »

Hi! I also purchased a new LaPavoni Europiccola. My first problem is that after 10 minutes waiting it doesn't give hot coffee. Making a second shot- with new coffee- and preheating the cups doesn't significantly increase the temperature. My second problem is that recently the coffee comes out only from the right side of the coffee spout. Please advise

drgary
Team HB

#10: Post by drgary »

Here is my standard response for new La Pavoni users who ask basic questions about temperature control. First, the site's Search feature is your friend. Also search the FAQs section of the Levers forum. Please read what you find and ask questions if your issues still aren't resolved.

These links will help you understand temperature control on these machines and ones of similar design like the Olympia Express Cremina:

Reaching the Zen Zone with a Two Switch La Pavoni

Adding Thermometry to a La Pavoni Europiccola This gives you more fine-tuning than temperature strips.

Dalton's law (And problems from it) This tells you how to release pockets of air that register as pressure and may keep your machine from coming up to temperature.

Olympia Cremina Temperature Study, Part 1

La Pavoni Millennium Owners, Are Temperature Problems Solved?

There are other threads on H-B about this subject. Search and enjoy. These should get you in the ballpark.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!