New handle on VAM Caravel

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
dumpshot
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by dumpshot »

When I got my VAM Caravel in 2011 from ebay italia, it was a very bad white re-paint with a hideous homemade handle and an incorrectly wired on/off switch from the later year model (version 3?). Other than that, it was all cool - lever on the lid, original flat heating element, ceramic covered wire, adjustable spring for the boiler tray.

So I got it powder coated in Ruby Red, ruined my original heating element, got a 110v element, and re-wired with high temp wire. All that was left was the handle.

U-G-L-Y, it didn't have no alibi. Check it out:

One day, I saw an ebay italia ad for a replacement bakelite handle offered by none other than Francesco himself. I "bought it now". Bam! Check it out:

It looked beautiful! But it was always a tight fit on the handle. It didn't really spin very freely. No biggie, right? Then one day during a routine pull, it cracked and a piece broke right off. "Damn the gods!" I cried.

I was suffering through with the broken handle. I even had electrical tape on it at one point. Oh, the ignominy.

Alright. Long story short. A guy in the Netherlands (brooks espresso machines) is repro-ing the handles for the lever and portafilter. I just got mine. It fits like a champ and the shape and feel are great. It is made out of plastic, so it is shiny instead of dull. But I think it looks great. Here it is next to an original. Good to know that there are resources for some of these parts out there.

Pete
LMWDP #484

SpromoSapiens

#2: Post by SpromoSapiens »

I don't know, I think the old fat handle was kinda cool. But the new one is quite sleek, indeed. Really though I'm just smitten by that powdercoat. Looks great! What model is that?

TomC
Team HB

#3: Post by TomC »

Great color choice! The contrast is nice in the shot without the flash drowning it out. Handle looks far better too.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

drgary
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary »

That looks like a machine that was pieced together with a VAM top and a late model body. It's not a transitional model because the VAMs and early Caravels didn't have a power switch on the front -- unless someone restoring it (including the fat replacement handle) installed the power switch and then powder coated.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

dumpshot (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by dumpshot (original poster) »

TomC wrote:Great color choice! The contrast is nice in the shot without the flash drowning it out. Handle looks far better too.
Yes, that is a bad shot. I need to dig up a shot of the machine with the white paint job and big handle. :oops:

Gary,
The body is original version 1.0 VAM. It was painted white - not powder coat, but something thick that discolored in the areas near the boiler where it gets hot. Looked bad! The previous owner hacked a hole in the front to accommodate the switch.

Howard,
I should have saved the big handle for you. I now regret mangling it off and throwing it in the garbage. And the victory dance was uncalled for as well.

But the real point is we are finally getting some resources for these unobtanium parts - handles, heating elements. Drip trays anyone?
LMWDP #484

Italyhound
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Italyhound »

I .... want .... that...... raiseatorre lid! :wink:

nk

#7: Post by nk »

Is there a guide to installing a new handle? If not would you mind detailing the process?

Also is your portafilter handle original? I've never seen one with a white dot/back.

dumpshot (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by dumpshot (original poster) »

Hi Nick,

My portafilter is original. I never thought about that white dot on the end. Did they change that later on to all black? I remember seeing the white portafilter having a black dot on the end.

The handle is pretty easy to change. On the right side of the handle on the chrome border you will see a small pin inserted flush with the border. Put a small nail or get a small awl that fits in there and lightly tap it out with a hammer. Don't lose it! Then the handle assembly comes apart and the handle slides right off. The new one slides right on. Then reverse those steps to get it back together. Easy peasy. Of course, I sound like an expert now. I mangled mine before getting advice on this forum. :oops:

Pete
LMWDP #484