New Conti Lever Project

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
wmfamily

#1: Post by wmfamily »

Well, I've just about given up trying to get parts to finish (start) the Olympia rebuild. Seems no one has heard anything from them in a while. Oh well...

So to appease the addiction I've been looking else where and what did I find but an incredible deal on a Conti Lever maching on E-bay for a whole $80 plus time and diesel to pick it up. I've aways been jealous of you people who seem to have these greate deals fall out of the sky.

I went and picked it up today and this is what I got...

Does anyone know what model this is? Its group looks like the newer Classica which has been he same for quite a few years from what I can tell. A Google check on Conti Monaco doesn't give me anything.

I have to say it is a beast and I was not expecting something so large but I will have do and the best part is is that it will still fit under the cabinets. Bonus! Plus the wife really likes the color. Double Bonus!

As I am looking at the parts before starting the cleanup the first thing that I noticed was the size difference compared to the Olympia. Can you tell which is which? Again, what a beast!

I will start on this tomorrow and will keep everyone posted as I clean it up. From what I can tell so far I should be able to get seals for the group but other pieces may be a bit of a problem. It is clean on the insdie with only storage dirt and I am hoping the boiler will also be clean.

John

Paul

#2: Post by Paul »

hi John,

Congrats on a great buy.

Conti only made two different designs of lever gr. They changed to the from empress to classica design in the late 60s. I'm sure that yours will be the latter.

I am unfamiliar of 'monaco' as a model name. If you're lucky, our French friend, Channo, will post with some details for you.
cheers
Paul

LMWDP #084

Advertisement
channo

#3: Post by channo »

hello
i send to you picture for a hydraulic system to same model of Monaco:
the model Monaco Begin 1982 and finish 1994. you machine is in meddle.
for a spare to reparation....
regards
Andrea

espressme

#4: Post by espressme »

Congratulations!A great Buy!
I was trying hard not to buy that one! :lol:
Some help:
http://www.cafeparts.com/listCategoriesAndProducts.asp
http://www.nrusa.biz/home.html
http://www.moschetti.com/7_support/2_parts/1_parts.htm
I have a Prestina and a Gold that await insurance settlement before I can touch them!

Cheers
richard
richard penney LMWDP #090,

wmfamily (original poster)

#5: Post by wmfamily (original poster) »

Thanks everyone,

channo, thanks for the picture. Obviously they are "related." I like the stainless look too. I noticed that yours does not have the switch above the pressure gauge.

Anyone have an idea of what this is for?

I'm also missing the main power switch from the front, but that may be a guess since I don't know what the other it used for.

Now for another question (the last one for tonight). Does anyone have any idea what this is sticking out of the right side (from the front) of the boiler? It's a little hard to see but it has two wires connected to it but also a third connector with nothing connected. I haven't seen anything like it but could it be another heating element (related to switch above) or the water level sensor or...? There is not the traditional water level sensor that you find on most machines located on top the boiler. I will get a better shot once I get the side panels off.

Oh, I almost forgot. My son is already asking when we plan to take it apart. He loves machines and this is right up his alley.

More to follow...

Thanks

John

bill
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by bill »

While I was rebuilding a Conti Prestina Edith Godin at the Conti factory was a big help with spare parts, manuals, etc. She can be reached at egodin@conti-espresso.com. Good luck!
Bill
LMWDP #43

I wasn't born in Texas, but got here as fast as I could!

CremaKatz

#7: Post by CremaKatz »

wmfamily wrote:Thanks everyone,

channo, thanks for the picture. Obviously they are "related." I like the stainless look too. I noticed that yours does not have the switch above the pressure gauge.

<image>

Anyone have an idea of what this is for?

I'm also missing the main power switch from the front, but that may be a guess since I don't know what the other it used for.
The switch has three positions: 1, 0, 2. If it's anything like my San Marco
(and it appears to be just like my San Marco), that *is* your main power switch.
1= power on for one group
0= off
2= power on for two groups

Before you say it, yes, your machine has only one group.
Mine, too. But I guess it was cheaper to get switches made
in bulk. And don't ask what it MEANS to have power for one
group on a two group machine that uses the same boiler for
both groups. I guess it just doesn't reheat as fast. Welcome to
the mysterious and not always entirely predictable world of
Italian design.

I urge you to take the advice of another member here and get
your exploded diagrams and wiring diagrams and any other information
you can get ahold of before starting your project. You'll be able to answer
a lot of these questions yourself. Of course you'll also see mysterious parts
and assemblies that differ from what you see on your machine... see above.
Try to line up a source for gaskets and parts before you begin. Some of them
may take some time to arrive.

Advertisement
wmfamily (original poster)

#8: Post by wmfamily (original poster) »

CremaKatz wins the Cupie Doll! I pulled one of the side panels off and found that someone has done a custom modification to the machine and replaced the original switch with the very cool and cleaverly placed new switch. I was wondering what the piece of insulated hose was jammed next to the boiler was for. As for the wires, my guess is that at some point they were used for a light to show when the heating element was working.

So now I am left with three lovely holes in the face plate. I will most likely find a smaller switch to replace the monster or I could always put a small Conti badge there. Hmmm....

Bill, I sent Edith an e-mail requesting information. I don't know how she will respond but i hope favorably.

Thanks all.

More to follow...

John

espressme

#9: Post by espressme »

Old, long established hardware stores may have "goof" plugs similar to those seen on many machines covering punched holes which are not used in a particular model. Like the one at center front on your machine. You can drill them for a light if you wish. They are usually in those inch and a half high cardboard multiple drawers of assorted parts. Take the plug from your machine and a measurement of the open holes. The clerk may show you where they are if they have them. Big Box home depots usually don't.
Cheers
richard
PS one of the threads says the center plugged hole is for the gas pilot light
wmfamily wrote:snip..
So now I am left with three lovely holes in the face plate. I will most likely find a smaller switch to replace the monster or I could always put a small Conti badge there. Hmmm....

Thanks all.
More to follow...
John
richard penney LMWDP #090,

bill
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by bill »

John,
One of the machines I used to have also had a three-position switch similar to yours. On that machine one position was off, one was to supply 110 v. to the control circuit for the auto-fill solenoid, and the third position added 220 v. to the heater. That machine was Spanish so they probably had a different way of doing things?
Bill
Bill
LMWDP #43

I wasn't born in Texas, but got here as fast as I could!