New Caravel heating element working:)

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
craigcharity

#1: Post by craigcharity »

Hi all

I thought I would share, I had a 220v 500w element made for my VAM Caravel, I had mine in the oven countless times and as soon as it heated up it tripped the house earth leakage.

So, I had a element made that is almost identical to the original one, it lacks the flared out piece at the bottom and the threaded terminal ends. I just wanted to see if this one worked before I get some more made with the flare(I think to keep moisture from getting inside the contacts) and the threaded ends.

Anyways, here are the pics. Enjoy

I dont know if there is anywhere else to get elements from, so I might get a bunch made and sell them. I would just like to test this one for a bit first. I can also get it in 110v.

redpig

#2: Post by redpig »

Nicely done! What sheath material did you end up with? I bought an element to bend and neglected to notice that I bought copper sheath (which has a pretty low max sheath temp).
LMWDP #411

Paolo

#3: Post by Paolo »

Long live the Caravel!!!

Is it 6mm or 8mm tubing?

Whale

#4: Post by Whale »

craigcharity wrote:I dont know if there is anywhere else to get elements from, so I might get a bunch made and sell them. I would just like to test this one for a bit first. I can also get it in 110v.
As far as I know the contact that we all had for Caravel heating elements is gone cold... I have not receive any reply to my repeated attempts... :(
You may have brought some hope back. I would be very interested in a 110 -120 Vac after your reliability tests are completed! :wink:

I notice that you have put something like heat shrink at the terminal ends. Is this holding up?
LMWDP #330

Be thankful for the small mercies in life.

craigcharity (original poster)

#5: Post by craigcharity (original poster) »

I think it is made from 6mm tubing, the original element to was flattened and the height was 6mm, so the element manufacturer copied that height. The heat shrink didn't work too well. It was temporary to see how it heated up and all was good. I will get them to make me another one with a threaded end so I can put the original terminal ends on that slide in the Caravel.

drgary
Team HB

#6: Post by drgary »

Craig:

Thanks for getting these heating elements made. BTW it looks like you have a VAM, the more valuable model that precedes the Caravel. The bronze colored crest on the boiler lid is the giveaway. You can check Francesco Ceccarelli's reference page on this.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Javier

#7: Post by Javier »

Whale wrote:As far as I know the contact that we all had for Caravel heating elements is gone cold... I have not receive any reply to my repeated attempts... :(
You may have brought some hope back. I would be very interested in a 110 -120 Vac after your reliability tests are completed!
+1
Looking forward to those reliability tests.
LMWDP #115

sorrentinacoffee

#8: Post by sorrentinacoffee »

hmm, great work :P - I know there is going to be a market for these. maybe not many but I get an email every other month asking about Caravel elements.

You machine does look like a Vam (though it could be early Caravel with VAM features)- which may be an issue- as VAM's had a fatter heating element than later Caravels. I don't know if elements are 100% interchangeable. I notice your element is (maybe?) not particularly flattened on the kettle side like the Caravel ones? Is it getting a good contact with the boiler? Do you see a strong red glow around the edges and/or does the body become very hot to touch? When you look in boiler as it comes to boil can you see that the heat is transferring evenly across the entire element surface? If you see the bubbles forming across the outline of the leemtn all may be good. You will possibly be able to see 'bubble free' patches where the element does not contact the boiler well... if possible look into these issue before you make too many as the design may need a little tweaking especially to fit the later Caravel machines. But maybe not I am not sure :wink:

galumay

#9: Post by galumay »

Will certainly be interested in a couple of these when you are ready to sell.
LMWDP #322 i started with nothing.........i still have most of it.

MNSTA

#10: Post by MNSTA »

I would also be interested :)