Need replacement Arrarex Carvel portafilter

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
daveyb

#1: Post by daveyb »

Hi, I am trying to find a complete portafilter and basket for the above! Does anyone have any idea where or who might help. I have checked the OE site and they have handles but no complete items.

pacificmanitou

#2: Post by pacificmanitou »

Finding one of those is the holy grail. There have been small runs of bottomless portafilters sold here, but they're expensive. Last one I saw individually came up on CG in the spring, and it sold quick. Your best bet is probably to have a machinist make one. Even then youd have to source a basket, easier said than done. Some aftermarket portafilters have been made to accept ponte vecchio baskets to combat this. Depending on what you paid for your caravel you may be better off selling the current one as parts and putting the proceeds towards a complete machine.
LMWDP #366

daveyb (original poster)

#3: Post by daveyb (original poster) »

Hi and thanks. I have 2 nice machines already and this third one is in good condition part from the pf. I think perhaps getting one made will be an option. The machine will sit there until such time as a decision needs to be made! I know they are rare, but so are unused ones that come in their original packaging, and i managed to find one of those as well, so you never know!

pacificmanitou

#4: Post by pacificmanitou »

Now that's a find. I saw something on CG about a caravel being sold with a bottomless. If it comes with the original as well, its possible you could negotiate for one of the two . Not even sure if its still for sale.
LMWDP #366

daveyb (original poster)

#5: Post by daveyb (original poster) »

Thanks for the info. I have just read the thread there and I think he has adapted the original, and does not have both. The hunt continues!

crazy4espresso

#6: Post by crazy4espresso »

Good luck with the hunt. I have never seen one come up on ebay. However a Faemina portafilter is listed now so you never know, but at 180 Euro (+shipping)you can guess at what a Caravel one would fetch. Better off buying complete machines. Having put together a Faemina machine recently I can tell you that complete machines are the only way to go.
"I would rather suffer with coffee than be senseless." — Napoleon Bonaparte
LMWDP #427

peacecup

#7: Post by peacecup »

I think with a little ingenuity one could modify a Ponte Vecchio/Sama portafilter to fit. I am hoping to find out soon.

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

pacificmanitou

#8: Post by pacificmanitou replying to peacecup »

Never thought of that, but it probably could. Both are two ear portafilters, and its documented that the baskets work.
LMWDP #366

daveyb (original poster)

#9: Post by daveyb (original poster) »

pacificmanitou wrote:Never thought of that, but it probably could. Both are two ear portafilters, and its documented that the baskets work.
That is really good advice. I have a PV pf and basket and on initial inspection, the lugs are going to need to be ground down about 1.5 mm per side. I cannot do this but a friend can and within a couple of weeks I ought to be able to report back.
Thanks peacecup!

peacecup

#10: Post by peacecup »

Please do report back on that one. I looked the other day too, and it will be a little tricky, but maybe doable.

The portafilter body itself may also need a little trimming. Also, the ears don't seem as long as I would like them. But let's see how it goes with your machinist.

Another thing to consider is the PV has a curved basket rim and the Caravel is flat. Not sure if the PV will need to be flattened - is so, the angled rim on the PF may also need to be flattened...

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."