Need help with Bezzera Strega steam leak

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
boy_lah

#1: Post by boy_lah »

hi all, I've had my Bezzera Strega since it first came out and it's been a charm since. Recently however, it started leaking steam at the tip of the wand (not at the handle, not on the body). It progressively got worst until recently i could not build up pressure as the steam was just coming out of the tip.

Since the steam was coming out at the tip of the wand, i had assumed the issue is the valve that opens/closes the steam (4-8). So off I went unscrewed the steam handle (1-2) assuming the spring valve need lube or replacing. I had to UNSCREW the spring valve (4) and since doing it, i have no way of putting it back. I even tried the hot water handle and now both sides is leaking water! help! How do i get my spring valve back in? Note, one of the spring valve has a slit for screw driver whilst the other doesn't!

Putting that valve back is step one. Then I welcome any suggestions from folks here what valve / gasket i need to replace to stop the steam coming out? Would it be 4-8 like i suspected or possibly 10-11? I've looked at 14-16 and looks reasonable to me?

Not had coffee all week and if i need parts another week. This is killing me. Any help much appreciated :D !

LMWDP #369

Advertisement
Paul_Pratt

#2: Post by Paul_Pratt »

Don't have a Strega but from the parts diagram seal 10 is the closing gasket and you access it from the back of the valve. Maybe just something leaving it open. In a temporary fix you can gently remove the seal and flip it over that will get you through until the new part arrives.

boy_lah (original poster)

#3: Post by boy_lah (original poster) »

Hey Paul. Clinton here. You were over my place last year and since then I've moved abroad. Good to see you here.
:lol:

Will take it open tomorrow and fiddle with part 10. Any idea how i can get 4 back in? It has screw threads but somehow I can't get it to screw back.
LMWDP #369

Marcelnl

#4: Post by Marcelnl »

Left hand thread vs right hand thread perhaps?
LMWDP #483

IMAWriter

#5: Post by IMAWriter »

It all does go back together, but you need tom make sure the spring is mounted correctly, and you need a bit of strength to squeeze that assembly together. I also had a bit of leaking. What happens is after a time, the locking mechanism that is oriented in such a way as to allow you to flip the lever up and go hands free has rotated itself out of position.

There is that little notch that (if memory serves) has to align in a way that allows it to lock in a position. The other trick is to fiddle with the sleeve on the arm.You play with both the washer and the larger sleeve, tightening JUST enough that it closes the wand until you flip it one way or the other, same as you would with any of these type fixtures. I like knobs better myself, just for this reason. I wish I could explain it better.

#6: Post by boy_lah (original poster) »

@Marceini - thanks for your suggestion but i have tried both directions with no luck.

@IMAWriter - finally, someone who has gone through it before. Can you better help explain by using the diagram above with numbers? Do i need to take the lid off and unscrew the part BEHIND the front panel ie. 12+30? I had a look and doesn't look that simple unless i learn how to open up my casing. If you tell me i don't, i will avoid opening up part 12+30 for now.

Could you kindly point out in the parts diagram where this little notch maybe? and by fiddling with sleeve of the arm - again, which part is that? If you're referring to part 2&3, i have played with this already and don't think that's the issue. My problem is no 5.

Desperate for coffee - any help much much appreciate!! :oops:
LMWDP #369

#7: Post by boy_lah (original poster) »

hi all,

Just wanted to say many thanks for everyone's tips. Turns out Paul Pratt was right. It's that little gasket BEHIND the Strega's front facia (no 10 in diagram). I flipped it around per Paul's suggestion and it works. I will now order replacement part.

As for how to get the spring with screw thread back in...turns out, no 11 has the female tread. You put a scew and twist no 10 to lock into no 4 from the front. Done.

Anyways, i have coffee! cheers all. :D
LMWDP #369

Advertisement
Pjersan

#8: Post by Pjersan »

Hi, i have the same problem, but how do I losen no 9, so I can find the gasket no 10?

#9: Post by boy_lah (original poster) replying to Pjersan »

This is very old but for others in the future, to get to no 10, you loosen from the BACK of the front panel ie. loosen 12/30.
LMWDP #369