Need help replacing piston seals for Ponte Vecchio Export

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
hayashi

#1: Post by hayashi »

I've been reading the forums and watching you tube and I managed to get the piston using a g clamp. Now I found it almost impossible to fit the new seals onto the piston. My hands are way too weak to be able to stretch the seal enough to get it over the edge, even after a soften the seal by soaking it in hot water.

The forum postings and videos never mention how to install the seals and it seems most people think it's easy enough, compared to get the piston out. So I must be missing something here. I'd really appreciate any detailed instruction on this, photos and videos are much appreciated. Please suggest what tools that can help too.

Thanks very much in advance.

grog

#2: Post by grog »

Not so much a hand strength issue so much as technique. I don't mean this disrespectfully - if you have an arthritic condition or something like that, it could of course make the seal installation challenging. But outside of something like that, the seal installation doesn't require unusual hand strength. It's just kind of a pain to get them on, really. Are you using Dow 111 or similar? Some form of food-safe lubricant is essential, not only for installation but for ongoing lubrication between seal and cylinder wall during use.
LMWDP #514

hayashi (original poster)

#3: Post by hayashi (original poster) »

gee, I guess my weak hands don't allow me to keep the machine then. how sad.

btw, I'm Asian in early 40s. 5'5, quite normal and no (known) arthritis conditions and other heart conditions alike. sigh.

grog

#4: Post by grog »

Sorry, I think I did a poor job of communicating my point. I wasn't intending to suggest that you aren't physically up to the task - just the opposite. If you were able to go through the onerous task of removing the piston, you are certainly capable of replacing the seals. It doesn't require Hulk-strength. Have you tried applying Dow 111 to the seals prior to installing? That lubrication will make a big difference in ease of installation.
LMWDP #514

SJM

#5: Post by SJM »

peacecup

#6: Post by peacecup »

I soak the seals in hot water a few minutes, then use a flat-blade screwdriver to pry them over the edge of the piston.

Be careful to use a screwdriver with no sharp edges, or even a smooth wooden stick, that does not damage the seal. Also, it is always good to have a few extra seals in case you do damage one.

Lastly, get the seals on in the correct direction - they can occasionally get reversed.

A little patience should help to get the machine running again.

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

hayashi (original poster)

#7: Post by hayashi (original poster) »

I must admit that physical strength is certainly not my forte. Yesterday I managed to get the security guy in my apartment to come help me put the seals on. He is a big guy and I was amazed that he got all 3 seals on in like 1 minute :) so for now I'm fine. The way he did it was exactly like peacecup described, using a screw drive to pry the rubber ring onto the piston. It didn't occur to me to try that way, so perhaps I'll try the same method later.
Now i'm just waiting for my PV factory tool to arrive so that I can put the piston back and start brewing again.

Thanks all for replying and all your suggestions and encouragements. I'll report back if I have good news.

peacecup

#8: Post by peacecup »

Just got my Sama Export running again after replacing some parts and I am glad. It's a fine machine.

If you be sure not to pull the lever when the machine is not running the seals will last a long time. When the machine is up to pressure water comes into the piston as soon as the lever is pulled, and this lubricates the seals. As long as you don't let it dry out for a long time (weeks or more) the seals stay soft. Mine usually last a year or more, sometimes several years.

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."