My first lever...La Peppina

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
nile24

#1: Post by nile24 »

It was back in October 2014 when I discovered HB and the lever espresso machine gallery. I didn't know anything about espresso at that time but I knew I wanted a lever espresso machine after checking out all the sweet eye candy. The La Peppina caught my attention and she was the one I was hunting. After six months I am a proud new owner of a La Peppina. Based on the card that came with the box, am I safe to assume this machine was produced in 8/2/1973?

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

Congratulations and welcome! That's a nice complete kit.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

nile24 (original poster)

#3: Post by nile24 (original poster) »

Thanks TomC. I got really lucky on this one. The person I bought it from found it in her attic and the LP had belonged to her auntie. I don't think she just it very much at all. I plan on using it without taking it apart first since it looks to be in good shape. I believe I read on one of the peppinas thread that I can run a mixture of water and vinegar to clean the inside/element area out?

Nate42

#4: Post by Nate42 »

That's really beautiful, congrats. Doesn't look like it needs much cleaning. I will say though, no matter how mint it is, the machine is 40 years old. If it was me I would check the seals and lube them with some Dow 111 before trying to use it.

nile24 (original poster)

#5: Post by nile24 (original poster) »

Thanks Nate! I'll order new gaskets and some dow from OE. Will I need to take the machine completely apart to do this according to the OE LP rebuilt?

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by JohnB. »

Nice find! I've got a 120v twin to yours with pretty much the same kit. It had seen very little use but did have some scale around the element area. I used straight white vinegar to remove the scale. Just had it apart the other day for the first time to change the flapper seal/washer under the kettle. I'd swap out that one & the one in the group for new more flexible seals & at least lube the piston. The OE write up runs you through it although I was able to do it with 2 hands instead of the 3 they recommend. It's a great little lever, enjoy.
LMWDP 267

doubleOsoul

#7: Post by doubleOsoul »

Wow! Nothing like hitting a home run on your first lever. Love all accessories.

dominico
Team HB

#8: Post by dominico »

August 2nd, 1973 is the date it was purchased by the reseller, not its production date. The production date was not listed on any of the cards; you might see something inside the base if you remove the rubber foot.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

yakster
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by yakster »

Congratulations on a nice La Peppina. That was my first lever too, I really enjoy it and it's currently taking a rotation on the counter.

You've probably read the rebuild guides but if not be very careful removing the three group screws, the originals are made of soft metal and strip easily. I wasn't so careful and ended up having to drill one screw out and re-thread the group. The new hole wasn't perfectly aligned but was close enough to get the dispersion block reattached and works good enough.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

bluesman

#10: Post by bluesman »

That is so cool I can't stand it!! I gotta get me one of those.

David