A Mint Mini Gaggia ...that wants to show how she is made - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Arto

#11: Post by Arto »

That looks so great! :D

I want one to :?
LMWDP #103

mogogear (original poster)

#12: Post by mogogear (original poster) »

So here is the Gaggia with the plastic outer shell removed.

Here is a shot of the screen

And a side view of the simple frame and boiler set
up- the fram is 4 pieces of angle iron welded together with threaded holes in the bottom runners for the feet to screw into.

The design of this little machine is as we have all suspected prone to some contamination of the boiler from espresso residue being introduced on the up-stroke . I can imagine that to be safe and avoid this - 1 pull is all that you get for pre-infusion and the shot. Maybe lingering on the initial downward pull so the water can seep into the puck as much as possible will be the possible best remedy. Who knows. The next shot is of the opened boiler. It is all brass. The later models were switched to aluminum to cut costs( this is a statement from the manufacturer DEMOKA SA in a posting on TMC)

A little dirty but not too bad for 30 or so years

Finally the top with the spring and plunger- a pretty hefty spring!

If you notice the substantial piston rod yoke that protrudes from the top , this really keeps the piston lined up and in the center of the well that forms the cylinder in the bottom part of the boiler.

So now it is time for a Blank basket in the PF , lock 'er in and fill the boiler with boiling water and Caffiza- BATH TIME!
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

timo888

#13: Post by timo888 »

mogogear wrote:...
Finally the top with the spring and plunger- a pretty hefty spring!
So now it is time for a Blank basket in the PF , lock 'er in and fill the boiler with boiling water and Caffiza- BATH TIME!
Good pikchers, G.

Curious to know the gauge of the wire and the O.D. of the spring.

Do I misremember seeing in some parts list (Ascaso?) a stainless steel replacement boiler for the MiniMoka?

Regards
Timo

#14: Post by mogogear (original poster) »

My ASCASO list shows no boiler- or spring replacement either. The rod is serviceable and the seals and thermostat.I will gauge the spring and let you know. The boiler is pretty hefty and thick. Chromed inside and out.
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

espressme

#15: Post by espressme »

Hello Mo,
Just how big is the basket on that beauty?
richard
richard penney LMWDP #090,

#16: Post by mogogear (original poster) »

The Mini Gaggia sports a commercial size PF and basket- 58mm. The ears on the PF are a little smaller than a regular LM PF. I have a naked PF that just won't quite fit. I may have to work on an extra regular PF and modify the ears to see if I can get it to fit so I can add a "Nekkid" version to the armament for the Mini...... BTW the Synesso BIG double basket fits in the PF very nicely...

Oh, yeah I forgot to take a good close up of the PF- it is a very nice rig with one othe the most comfortable handles I have ever held. It is kind of heart shaped. Almost pointed at the bottom and broadly curved across the top. It fist well in my hand. It is "clip-less" but the baskets for it are ever so slightly flared just below the lip. This gives the baskets a little bit of a internal "hug" that acts like a spring clip retainer.

More soon. Oh , yeah, I need to go measure the spring for the Smithsonian..... :wink:
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

#17: Post by mogogear (original poster) »

Spec's and Measurements:

Cylinder bore- 49.2mm(diameter) X 32mm (High)
Piston diameter- 48.90mm

Piston ring groove:
Bottom of groove diameter- 37.85mm
Groove width- 8.75mm
Depth ( from bottom of grove to piston O.D.)-.6.5mm

Spring- outer diameter-47.75 / thickness 5.15 / 5 "gaps" each 8.7mm wide

Old seal was V type

New seal is Not?

It has a flat inner face like normal- sides are flat also but the outer edge is rounded like standard O-ring
This does not seem right and would seem to be less capable of containing all the pressure down steam...

I am driving to Seattle on Tuesday- a stop at ESPNW is called for to see if they have a suitable V type piston ring.. ! Darn and these seals were the ones I had shipped form Spain / ASCASO..I hope the spare element works better.
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

#18: Post by mogogear (original poster) »

A nice bath it was..... after a long day in the yard doing that "down" side to the arrival of Spring.... made for a tired hand. So here is a quick look at the shiny girl... shield your eyes -Now

By the looks of the spanner holes in the piston head, you unscrew it to remove the spring and then the rod.
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

#19: Post by mogogear (original poster) »

The Portafilter is of almost commercial weight- 15oz. or so

The spout is removable / changeable to a single or another style. I stated it in another post, but the handle is VERY comfortable to grip
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

hbuchtel

#20: Post by hbuchtel »

Thanks for posting those photos and dimensions Greg! You've inspired me to get off my butt and get a new spring made for my Zerowatt. Should be ready later this week.

The piston and spring seem to be the same size as the Gaggia, except the piston has two "o" rings. Someone also had the clever idea of welding the top and bottom of the boiler together :?

Henry
LMWDP #53