Microcimbali steamer not working...?

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Glynn

#1: Post by Glynn »

Hello,
my recently aquired Microcimbali Liberty is getting up enough pressure (0,2 bar) to brew coffee, but when I try to foam up the milk, there is a feeble short hiss, and then the pressure drops to nothing . Anyone got any ideas?
There seems to be no leaks, so I guess that the washers are Ok
Thanks!

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

0.2 bar is low pressure. Have you checked your PSTAT setting?
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Advertisement
Glynn (original poster)

#3: Post by Glynn (original poster) »

thanks Gary!
I am a total Newcomer to coffee making and Lever machines... where do I find the PSTAT setting adjuster?

drgary
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary »

PSTAT = a pressure switch, which means steam pressure in the boiler exerts force on a membrane that is connected to a spring-loaded switch. The switch/circuit are normally closed so when the machine is powered on, so is the heating element. When it reaches the target pressure, which correlates with target boiler water temperature, the circuit opens. It cycles on and off to maintain target pressure.

I haven't owned a Microcimbali Liberty, only the earlier version. Maybe someone can chime in who knows how to adjust the Liberty. I would guess you want to have brew and steam pressure somewhere around 0.9 bar, but again I don't know your particular machine.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

crazy4espresso

#5: Post by crazy4espresso »

Hi Glynn,

In the other thread I had posted the manual. Have a look. The pressure switch is clearly identified and adjustment is explained. Locate the switch on your machine and try to increase pressure. Looks like you need to turn it clockwise. Follow the instructions. It also states that working pressure is 0.2-0.3 BAR. I have no experience with this machine but that seems rather low, and therefore probably does not make this a very good steaming machine. Even if you can boost the pressure past 0.3 BAR, now you risk burning coffee. Try to raise it up to 0.3 BAR and let us know.
"I would rather suffer with coffee than be senseless." — Napoleon Bonaparte
LMWDP #427

Glynn (original poster)

#6: Post by Glynn (original poster) »

Hi Nelson
thanks again for your response - I really am just an utter novice in this area. I did download the manual,but was unable to locate the pressure adjustment. Do I have to dismantle the machine in order do this...?
thanks

crazy4espresso

#7: Post by crazy4espresso »

Hi Glynn,
Unfortunately the pstat is not very accessible and requires some disassembly. It is located in the collar of the base of the machine. The top of the machine has to be removed from the collar.

Found an old post by Orphan Espresso:
"...the Liberty has the pstat located directly under the boiler, upside down, inside the base collar. Before major excavations....there is a stand pipe above the pstat which goes into the boiler and the top of the pipe is designed to be above the water level to give a pressure reading of the steam. When you descale the descaler may not get into the pipe. You can remove the boiler from rest of the machine by removing the nut on the top center and pulling the boiler off the machine then clean this stand pipe by hand (or use a syringe to put descaler into the pipe and then flush). If the boiler does not seem to want to come off hit the nut on top with a wood mallet and this should jar it loose. this gets you in to the top and after reassembling with new boiler gasket (and cleaning the groove etc) you can test the machine to see if this helped the pressure.

The pstat is a fairly fancy affair with a ring adjustment and sometimes temperature or pressure values printed on a paper band around the body of the pstat. To remove the top of the machine from the collar you back out the small screw on the back center top of the collar and remove the big nut on the base in the center...you don't have to take out the 3 smaller bolts....this gets you into the electrical controls inside the collar to change the pstat setting....unfortunately it all has to be reassembled to test and then taken apart and reassembled ad infinitum. I recall an orange vintage MicroCim that I was in and out of that collar at least 25 times :wink: so you will only have 24 to go and we'll be even!"
"I would rather suffer with coffee than be senseless." — Napoleon Bonaparte
LMWDP #427

Advertisement
Glynn (original poster)

#8: Post by Glynn (original poster) »

Hi Nelson
this is a great help! In the Manual it doesn't tell you how to get at the pstat. I'll let you know how I get on!
many thanks!