Metric copper pipe & caps:

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Chad C.

#1: Post by Chad C. »

I'm working on my La Cimbali 2 group Lever, and its tube that operates the pressurestat has corroded badly enough to break. During a move a few years ago I was in a hurry and sadly broke one of the mercury bulbs in its original pressurestat. It took a while to forgive myself... Now I need to fit a modern stat to the machine, but the old La Cimbali pipe is what I believe to be 5mm metric pipe with what I believe to be 1/8 female fittings on each end.

The caps that go into the 5mm tubing are different than other machines, and I'm not sure if the same type are required when the tube gets replaced. Also, a modern pressurestat is 3/8, requiring a 1/8 male to 3/8 female adapter, right? Would that work?

I used a 6mm wrench to gauge the size of tubing it is. That's the smallest size I have, and it's about a size too big. Also shown are the end caps used in the tube. Where do I find end caps for 5mm tubing? Where do I find 5mm tubing in the US? It's not listed on OE, EP, or Nuova Ricambi. Thoughts? Paging Paul Pratt!

Advertisement
drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

Stefano's Espressocare:

Parts ' Common Parts ' Fittings

If you don't see the pipe ask him. My last resort has been ordering on eBay worldwide.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Chad C. (original poster)

#3: Post by Chad C. (original poster) »

My god that's brilliant, thanks! Stefano is local to me, and he knows a lot. I worked with him back in the day. I'm wondering if I can bring the 1/8 fittings and some 5mm tube to my local hardware store and have them flare each end of the 5mm tube? I really don't know much about these things, but I don't see why not?

Any solutions are of interest, thanks in advance : )

drgary
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary »

Stefano would be my first choice. Also the techs at Allann Brothers may also be able to help you, especially McDave. I believe their repair shop is off of I-5 in Albany, OR, but I would check with them first. McDave helped me source parts and offered guidance for my Conti Prestina restoration.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

DJF

#5: Post by DJF »

Chad C. wrote:
I used a 6mm wrench to gauge the size of tubing it is. That's the smallest size I have, and it's about a size too big. Also shown are the end caps used in the tube. Where do I find end caps for 5mm tubing? Where do I find 5mm tubing in the US? It's not listed on OE, EP, or Nuova Ricambi. Thoughts? Paging Paul Pratt!
It probably is 5mm but the spanner test doesn't cut it. Buy yourself a set of digital calipers at the local hardware shop. The cheapies are only about $20 but should do the trick and you will find them very handy.
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I don't think so."

erics
Supporter ★

#6: Post by erics »

Now I need to fit a modern stat to the machine, but the old La Cimbali pipe is what I believe to be 5mm metric pipe with what I believe to be 1/8 female fittings on each end.
That tubing is most likely 6 mm OD tubing which is readily available either from Stefano or Orphan Espresso:
http://www.orphanespresso.com/Espresso- ... c_360.html . When you say "1/8 female fitting", I assume you are describing the nut which secured the tubing at both ends. "1/8" would refer to the size of the female threading which would then be 1/8"-28 BSPP threads. That would be unusual as most of the pstat assemblies I have seen are 1/4"-19 BSPP. The sizes can easily be checked with brass fittings from your local hardware store but keep in mind that they will only screw on about 1 turn as they are US NPT fittings which have slightly different thread pitch.

In either case, I would convert all to 1/4"-19 BSPP threading and use 6 mm tubing available from the sources previously mentioned. You MAY need to change the fitting at the boiler which sends the pressure signal to the pstat. Pic(s) and some measurements of that would be helpful.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

#7: Post by Chad C. (original poster) »

erics wrote:That tubing is most likely 6 mm OD tubing which is readily available either from Stefano or Orphan Espresso:
http://www.orphanespresso.com/Espresso- ... c_360.html . When you say "1/8 female fitting", I assume you are describing the nut which secured the tubing at both ends. "1/8" would refer to the size of the female threading which would then be 1/8"-28 BSPP threads. That would be unusual as most of the pstat assemblies I have seen are 1/4"-19 BSPP. The sizes can easily be checked with brass fittings from your local hardware store but keep in mind that they will only screw on about 1 turn as they are US NPT fittings which have slightly different thread pitch.

In either case, I would convert all to 1/4"-19 BSPP threading and use 6 mm tubing available from the sources previously mentioned. You MAY need to change the fitting at the boiler which sends the pressure signal to the pstat. Pic(s) and some measurements of that would be helpful.
erics wrote:That tubing is most likely 6 mm OD tubing which is readily available either from Stefano or Orphan Espresso:

My god, metric plumbing is torture for the dyslexics of the world. You're right that I was referring to the 1/8 female cap nuts that secure the pipe to the stat and the boiler. I have verified through incorrect parts orders that this is indeed their correct size, and yes it is unusual. Lucky me... Can I use 6mm tubing with 1/4"female/BSPP cap nuts? (Stefano does not currently have the 6mm tubing.)
If so, is there a collection of part numbers that I can purchase that can allow me to complete this task without having to comprehend this godforsaken system? I've been repairing espresso machines for 15 years and I've never had to do such a thing, so I'm not anxious to learn it. It's likely that when I've completed this task I'll understand it, but not until... Even Doug & barb's video blew my mind.

I just edited this to thank you all for helping me, this task is humbling for the kid who was special ed K-18 :wink:

Advertisement
erics
Supporter ★

#8: Post by erics »

Can I use 6mm tubing with 1/4"female/BSPP cap nuts?
The nut and the ferrule need to be compatible. In your specific case, the fitting at the boiler end is a 1/8" BSPP male thread and the fitting on presssurestats suitable for your machine is a 1/4" BSPP male thread.

Orphan Espresso sells 1/8 BSPP and 1/4 BSPP nuts which are designed for 6 mm tubing and 6 mm bicones:

http://www.orphanespresso.com/Bicone-NU ... _4864.html

http://www.orphanespresso.com/Bicone-NU ... _4865.html

They do not list 6 mm bicones on their site but may very well have them in stock. Likewise, they do not list 6 mm tubing on their site but may very well have it stock. A bicone is simply a metric ferrule.
Skål,

Eric S.

#9: Post by Chad C. (original poster) »

I really appreciate your taking the time to show me that. I believe the light is beginning to come on inside my head.

I recently found out that Nuova Ricambi has a retail parts business that operates off the regular commercial Nuova Ricambi inventory. They stock a whole lot of parts, and the prices I've seen are reasonable. I endorse EP, but they don't stock nearly as much as NR does. They ship out of California, and the customer service by phone was quite good, although not machine literate. The site is http://www.vanelis.com, and it doesn't like Safari browsers...

So speaking in part numbers, I need a 547361 and a 547360, along with a 515963 and a 522217. Right? And of course the 6mm tubing.

I might get this bad boy up & running yet!

erics
Supporter ★

#10: Post by erics »

So speaking in part numbers, I need a 547361 and a 547360, along with a 515963 and a 522217. Right?
No.

547361 and 547360 are intended for bicones. You need 511531 and 511532 and some soldering skills. And, if you choose to go this route, I would buy a couple of the fittings which get soldered to the tubing (just in case).
Skål,

Eric S.