Looking for double basket for Conti Comocafe, any suggestions?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Methyltheobromin

#1: Post by Methyltheobromin »

Dear fellow lever lovers,

I've got a Conti Comocafe which I quite enjoy using, but unfortunately it only came with an original single basket and a double basket that somewhat fits, but definitely is not original. The single basket has a flat ridge, whereas the double basket has a round ridge and only forms a proper seal when I prop it up with some rubber bands between portafilter and basket.

As I am using the double basket much more frequently than the single, I would like to get one that fits better than the one I have. Any suggestions on which baskets from other machines I could try? Getting an original one would of course be best, but they are probably even rarer than the machine itself...

Any hints would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Roland

PS: The Comocafe has a basket diameter of a bit more than 49mm. I have tried a pre-millenium Pavoni basket already, but unfortunately it did not work.

crazy4espresso

#2: Post by crazy4espresso »

If you're looking for 45 mm, flat ridge, straight wall baskets, you can try the ones from Zacconi. They may come with dimples on the side, which you may have to grind down, but should work.

Edit: Seems the Comocafe baskets are 49 mm, sorry.
"I would rather suffer with coffee than be senseless." — Napoleon Bonaparte
LMWDP #427

doubleOsoul

#3: Post by doubleOsoul »

In order to answer your question, we need pictures. Lots and lots of pictures. Oh and video too. LOL

Bluecold

#4: Post by Bluecold »

How much is 'a bit more than 49mm'?
Apparently, the 51mm Pavoni is about 53mm in reality.
Source for non-Pavoni 51-ish mm millennium baskets?
But some lower end Krups and Sunbeam machines use a 50-51mm basket.
http://thingscoffee.com.au/product_info ... cts_id=109
http://www.brevilleusa.com/single-wall-filters.html

Best of luck in any case.
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

grog

#5: Post by grog »

If you can source a Zacconi aka Riviera 49mm double basket, I can confirm those work in the Comocafe PF. Just used one this morning for
my 6:00 am Comocafe shot in fact. I got mine from the OE closeout extravaganza a couple of years ago, but they may still be in production.

Just make sure you get the 49mm NOT the 45mm. Riviera has made groups and baskets in both sizes. Oddly the Pavoni 49mm baskets do not work in the Comocafe PF.

Here's a supplier in Germany:

http://www.coffeemaker-spareparts.com/Z ... 8d55db10ef
LMWDP #514

yakster
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by yakster »

The Comocafe does have a larger basket than it's inspiration, the La Peppina. I found that out at the 2012 Ides of March Eve Lever Espress Pull-Down at the old Barefoot Coffee location in Santa Clara when mokemo set up his Comocafe next to my La Peppina. I tried the Yak Wack to eject the puck from the basket of the Comocafe keeping my finger on the edge of the basket and it almost flipped out into the waste bucket because of the difference in size.

More pictures here: San Francisco Bay Area Lever fans (LMWDP).
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Methyltheobromin (original poster)

#7: Post by Methyltheobromin (original poster) »

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will see that I get a Zacconi and a Krups basket and just give them a try and then report back. Hopefully one of them will fit. The best way to get one of the Krups baskets might be to bid on a broken Krups on ebay, they often go for less than the cost of a spare basket...

Cheers,

Roland

yakster
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by yakster »

More on 49 mm baskets, not sure if any of these fit...

49mm Baskets for Olympias
-Chris

LMWDP # 272