LMWDP Rollcall - Page 156

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
bob_fris

#1551: Post by bob_fris »

Hi everyone, glad to finally be a part of the club! I picked up my lever a couple weeks ago and after 20 or so sink tributes, I finally pulled a decent shot on her yesterday and thought I should sign up.

A little about me, I got started in espresso as a bartender in the late 90s but the bug didn't take hold until recently when I picked up an aeropress and started roasting coffee. Fortunately my spouse is a coffee-lover so she's been supportive of the new obsessionImeanhobby.. :D

Here's my 70-73 LP Europiccola I recently picked up.. Descaled, replaced group, piston, and lever gaskets and clips.

Cheers!!!
Bob
LMWDP #468

ManualWorker

#1552: Post by ManualWorker »

Nice setup! You are a lucky man to be able to share your coffee passion with your wife...
LMWDP #365

SlowRain

#1553: Post by SlowRain »

bob_fris, I like the vibe you've got going on in your coffee corner. Your setup is great.

DrUsagi

#1554: Post by DrUsagi »

Hello everyone,

I am Michal, and I am based in Poland. Finally I am ready to join the the LMWDP.

I am owning an old La Peppina (serial number is 61575, November 1965), which is now undergoing renovation. This is an old and rare model made in London in UK. Son not Italian production, but generally all parts are same.

Still not decided if I will keep the original colors or will paint it in something that matches my kitchen or office. Tomorrow I will get newly chromed group head, and then will try to assembly little one and see if it makes good coffee.

In addition to that a friend of mine was so nice to borrow me beautiful Sama Export for tests - just to be able to confirm that lever machines made better espresso than any other coffee machine.

I will keep you updated on the renovation progress.

Cheers,
Michal
LMWDP #469.

stefanolo

#1555: Post by stefanolo »

Entered the espresso world about four years ago and have had a Nespresso D290, Silvia v2 w Rocky grinder, an OE Pharos grinder, Mahlkönig Vario Home, La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II and Mazzer Super Jolly, and I was just about to upgrade to a Vivaldi II with pre-infusion control and rotary pump when I stumbled upon a Youtube vid showing a Londinium I...and I was hooked. Since a couple of weeks I have an L1 and there's no going back to pump machines :wink:

Below my now plumbed in LONDINIUM I and Mazzer Super Jolly Doser

LMWDP #470

GGinTexas

#1556: Post by GGinTexas »

Hi everyone, my name is Greg Gray and on here I will be known as GG. I can finally join the lever group! In 1969 I was in Italy and Pompeii. There I developed an interest in espresso and Caffe bars. I've finally reached retirement, discovered HB and began my journey. I owe most of my new passion and development to fellow HB'ers. I put GOD first and family. My retirement time is spent on gardening, chickens, and my new coffee bar! It's an eclectic grouping of DIY refinished office equipment and finally my centerpiece an only slightly used Izzo Pompeii lever machine. I'll not list my brew options but you may see them in the piks. Thanks to all and I'm glad to join the lever domination quest!! Greg
LMWDP # 471
If GOD be for us, who can be against us!

Javier

#1557: Post by Javier »

GG wrote:Hi everyone, my name is Greg Gray and here will be known as GG. I can finally join the lever group! In 1967 I was in Italy and Pompeii and developed an interest in espresso Caffe bars. I've finally reached retirement discovered HB and began my journey. I owe most of my passion and development to fellow HB'ers. I put GOD first and then family. My retirement time is garden, chicken, and my new coffee bar! It's an eclectic grouping of DIY refinished office equipment and finally my masterpiece a only slightly used Izzo Pompeii lever machine. Other equipment list I guess I'll not bore you with but see in pik. <image><image><image><image>Thanks all and I'm glad to join the domination quest!! Greg
Welcome GG (Greg)! Your coffee bar, in particular the Izzo Pompeii lever, is amazing!
LMWDP #115

beer&mathematics

#1558: Post by beer&mathematics »

Welcome GG! Awesome coffee bar!
LMWDP #431

victoriacoffees

#1559: Post by victoriacoffees »

GG, all you coffee gear complements the Pompei. Nice setup!
John V.

MB

#1560: Post by MB »

How did I fall down the rabbit hole? In general, I feel drawn in by strong flavors, and a few that some find a little difficult, like double salt licorice. I remember my dad fixing home baked pizza with anchovies every now and then, so maybe I picked it up from him.

Recently I started back on coffee. Before my 14 year hiatus, I would load up on lousy brew at work from the all-day cooked coffee pot. I confess, I would start a pot and put my cup under the drip to get the best the "fresh" bag had to offer. Even had a steamer contraption at home for "espresso" drinks. But, during the hiatus I made due with hot chocolate (mainly for a warm substitute). Then at work they brought in the multi-beverage coffee machines, the latest of which has a touch screen with probably 100 options of espresso drinks, coffees & hot chocolate.

I finally gave in to the techno monster. The daily aroma was just too much. Unfortunately, although it ground the beans and the first cups have been somewhat satisfying, unless my choice had vanilla topping, chocolate & added sugar in the cup, the coffee part was pretty bad. Around the same time my wife brought home a K-cup type machine which was convenient but still not as nice as the strong drip from my past.

After some initial on-line window shopping for cheap espresso options, I soon found HB and began instead pining for options that would offer really good espresso and/or espresso based drinks. Fortunately for me, one of the relatively lower entry expense options was a Pharos grinder followed by a La Pavoni Europiccola, both from E-bay. I love that it's a challenging pursuit with the La Pavoni, also that you are involved with the process of pulling a shot. And if we can be honest for a minute, I don't mind it either that it has a kind of retro coolness to it, like fixing up a vintage sports car and speeding around with the wind in your face. Am I racing around town with the LP? No, I'm up to my elbows in grease, so to speak, figuring things out and imagining the days ahead, but I did get the engine to fire up and I like the way it sounds. Certainly something that a little micro foam and sugar would fix and keep me at it.
LMWDP #472