Limiting grouphead steam on a 2nd generation Pavoni as a temperature control technique

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
dominico
Team HB

#1: Post by dominico »

Recently I was reading a thread on HB (can't remember which one) about overheating issues on the 2nd Generation Pavoni grouphead ('74-2000) and that being continuously filled with steam is the major source of this heat. I had an idea that a good way to limit steam in the grouphead would simply be to keep the piston in a raised position just below the point of opening the group. So I came up with this:

It is simply a mini flathead screwdriver pinned into position behind the rear lever joint to stop it from descending.

I pulled a series of four shots and the temperature did not significantly change between shots.
The temperature did continue to increase of course because heat is still transferred to the group by other means (absorbing heat from the water every shot and through metal contact with the boiler) however it increased at a much slower and more manageable rate.

NB: One of the Europiccola's two "secret" cup warmers are on display in the first pic.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

day

#2: Post by day »

That is an interesting concept, i will have to play with it a bit.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

[creative nickname]

#3: Post by [creative nickname] »

Very interesting indeed. Can't wait to try it out myself!
LMWDP #435