Lever for thick, fruity shots

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
epurc

#1: Post by epurc »

Hello,

I'm trying to decide on my first lever machine and I am torn between getting a new PV Lusso or hoping to get lucky with a used Cremina on eBay. I am looking to pull 1-3 shots of fruity, clear ristretto espresso a day and would like to get a heavier machine than a Pavoni. (I also have less of an appetite for managing temperature than I used to.)

I am leaning towards the lusso since it is easier to find and i don't feel comfortable restoring things myself. However, I am slightly concerned that the Lusso won't be up to the fruity or clear parts of my requirements. Any advice on whether our not that's the case or whether I may want to hold out for a cremina?

aecletec

#2: Post by aecletec »

You mentioned thick shots in your title. Levers aren't really known for making thick shots.
You also mentioned fruity espresso, for that you'll probably want to buy Ethiopian beans. A lever won't make a coffee fruity if it's not already.

Advertisement
Tony_Lotts

#3: Post by Tony_Lotts »

Are you referring to a thick as in a syrupy mouth feel? I get that with my LI, depending on the coffee I'm working with.

epurc (original poster)

#4: Post by epurc (original poster) »

Yes, I guess I am indeed talking about mouth feel.

I mostly drink single origins so my understanding was that levers manage those best. As long as a shot isn't watery I would take the ability to pull unique flavors over body. (And that desire is what led me to levers in the first place. Let me know if that's mistaken.)

kofi

#5: Post by kofi »

I'm also contemplating the idea of getting a lever machine. I needed an espresso machine for my second home, so I got a ROK to see if I would like a lever machine. It turns out I also enjoy thick, sirupy shots, which is what I'm getting from the ROK.

I have a Breville Infuser, which hasn't seen any action since I got the ROK. The Breville simply cannot produce the thickness and viscosity that the ROK does. So, based on my short experience with a simple lever machine, I think it can produce the shots you're looking for. I grind finer than what I need for the Breville, and then muscle the shot out.

I've also watched several videos of the Ponte Vecchio machines, and they seem to produce thick shots.

Based on the readings from HB, it seems both machines have a good control of brewing temperature. The Lusso may have an edge in getting more consistency because of the spring mechanism. But I think that with little practice, one should be able to do the same with a Cremina.

Tony_Lotts

#6: Post by Tony_Lotts »

In the video, the shot looks like a ristretto to me. You should be able to pull a shot like that with a pump machine, grind a little finer to slow the pour.

kofi

#7: Post by kofi »

The Breville chokes if I use the same grind setting I use for the ROK. That's using the same dose, same tamping force, etc.

Besides what I get from the ROK, the only thick espresso shot I've had is from Intelligentsia Black Cat Espresso in one of their locations in NYC (they use a La Marzocco machine). That experience is what let me to believe I've been missing some amazing flavors I hadn't had in espresso before. I speculated that the viscosity had to do something with it. I figured I should try the ROK since I should be able to use a lot of force at the beginning of the shot and gradually decrease the force for the remaining time, sort of mimicking a spring lever machine. So far, this process yields amazing flavors from Black Cat, Paradise Rosters' Espresso Nuevo and Iron Range.

Advertisement
epurc (original poster)

#8: Post by epurc (original poster) »

Glad to hear I should be able to get the body I'm looking for. Would someone be able to comment on whether there'd to be sufficient flavor detail from either machine or how cremina shots might compare to Lusso ones? And will either get at the nuances of "strange" SO beans?

kofi

#9: Post by kofi »

This is an excerpt from a recent review of the Elektra Microcasa a Leva:
Elektra Microcasa a Leva Review
"If you prefer thick and syrupy ristrettos, you may want to consider a manual lever espresso machine like the Olympia Cremina or La Pavoni Europiccola, which can deliver higher brew pressure by pushing the lever harder. The Microcasa's maximum brew pressure is limited by the power of its spring, delivering a slowly declining pressure profile. The result is a delightfully layered taste profile and exceptional clarity while sacrificing the heavy body manual lever espresso machines can deliver."

Eastsideloco

#10: Post by Eastsideloco »

Thick syrupy ristretti. That sounds like the shots I'm pulling on a Cremina.

If you shop carefully, I don't think buying a used Cremina is a risky proposition or a roll of the dice. These are simple and sturdy machines, electrically and mechanically. Unless a machine been abused in some way, there is relatively little that can go wrong with it. If you are capable of assembling Ikea furniture, you can rebuild one if necessary. Parts are readily available, and the process is well documented. Orphan Espresso has the parts you need, as well as a 40-part series of YouTube videos on the topic.

If your budget allows, I'd also look at machines like the Strega, the L1 and so forth.