Lever Espresso Machine Gallery - Page 195

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
[creative nickname]

#1941: Post by [creative nickname] »

I haven't used a Cremina, but from what I've read the temp can easily be varied with half pumps of the lever to heat the group. I've found my 2013 MCAL to be incredibly temperature stable. I can turn it on, leave it on all day, walk up and pull a shot, and the results will be similar. Back to back shots are easy if you cool the portafilter in running water pulls. Whether this difference is due to design changes, or differences in our use patterns, I can't say.

I agree absolutely regarding the gorgeous quality of the HG-one. I loved using it with the stock handles, and I like it even more with the Cocobolo handles that Dave Stephens made for me. Using mine in combination with the levers makes for a wonderfully meditative experience.
LMWDP #435

bakafish

#1942: Post by bakafish »

[creative nickname] wrote:I haven't used a Cremina, but from what I've read the temp can easily be varied with half pumps of the lever to heat the group. I've found my 2013 MCAL to be incredibly temperature stable.
I think it is because the group designs are different. The Cremina water inlet in the group is above the piston. When I half pump, the hot water circulates in the boiler and group so that the group temperature rises. The MCAL water inlet in the group is blocked by the piston so there is not water in the group until you press the lever and raise the piston to top. Half pump does no effect on the MCAL. Also, the group cool down time between shots of the MCAL is much less than it of the Cremina because of the bigger and empty group.

KarlSchneider

#1943: Post by KarlSchneider »

Thanks to this thread, some PM's and subsequent thread searches I now understand why my MCaL with its original gasket between group and boiler may be less temp stable than other machines. I am not one of the handy types so making my own teflon gasket is not an option. I may try to find one at a later date. However, in truth, I do not find the current temp behavior at all a problem. I turn the machine on, pull four doubles that are perfect and turn it off. I have no wish to have it on all day. The quality of the shots I get is the most important feature for me. After 9 years of daily use without temp problems I see little need to tinker with it.
LMWDP # 008

Cammie

#1944: Post by Cammie »

Speaking of Conti levers, here's almost completely restored one I picked up about a month ago:

Although a primarily brass colored machine would not have been my first choice, I think she's beautiful. I bought a flojet and will get her hooked up in the next few weeks.

[creative nickname]

#1945: Post by [creative nickname] »

What a gorgeous find, Cammie! I can't wait to hear how the shots taste.
LMWDP #435

doubleOsoul

#1946: Post by doubleOsoul »

That is a hot buttered soul caddy of a lever.... just beautiful.

drgary
Team HB

#1947: Post by drgary »

Cammie,

That's gorgeous. Can you show us a close-up of the badge on the back panel please?
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

beer&mathematics

#1948: Post by beer&mathematics »

Yaoza! Great looking machine! I'm sure the Bezzera is blue with jealousy! :lol:
LMWDP #431

Cammie

#1949: Post by Cammie »

Here's a close-up picture of the badge taken by the seller:

drgary
Team HB

#1950: Post by drgary »

Thank you. I thought the shape looked familiar. We owe a lot to Thomas Cara for importing such fine vintage lever machines as yours.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!