Lever Espresso Machine Gallery - Page 194

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
beer&mathematics

#1931: Post by beer&mathematics »

Wow--Russel--way to show me up :lol:
That thing is gorgeous! Sucks it doesn't fit in the house, however, at the shop, many more people can admire it's beauty :P Next time I come home (ie SoCal), I'll have to stop by one of your cafes.
UseIt4Toddy wrote:I assume that's the CL Familia from Prospect Park that's been listed for the last couple weeks? Was really tempted to drive up and grab it myself. Congrats!
Very same. I wanted Justin's machine but didn't have the dough at the time (luckily went to a good HB member home) and I only got paid for my summer session teaching last thursday, so I finally had some funds to try to buy it. I emailed the guy Sat, set up a Sunday afternoon time to check it out. Rented a zip car, took the lady around the town cruising, and brought home the Bezzera. Seller didn't really know anything about it and had a print out from OE's site about the Lusso. He tried to make me an espresso with instant coffee-doh! I played the fool a bit to talk down the price. Off-topic, turns out I love negotiating!
LMWDP #431

UseIt4Toddy

#1932: Post by UseIt4Toddy »

Ha! Glad you were able to talk him down--and discover a new skill :D Thought the listing had all the marks of non-geek looking to negotiate as needed. At the list price, I figured I'd just keep trolling for NYC Cremina's. Start a rebuild thread when the time comes! Cheers,
beer&mathematics wrote: Very same. I wanted Justin's machine but didn't have the dough at the time (luckily went to a good HB member home) and I only got paid for my summer session teaching last thursday, so I finally had some funds to try to buy it. I emailed the guy Sat, set up a Sunday afternoon time to check it out. Rented a zip car, took the lady around the town cruising, and brought home the Bezzera. Seller didn't really know anything about it and had a print out from OE's site about the Lusso. He tried to make me an espresso with instant coffee-doh! I played the fool a bit to talk down the price. Off-topic, turns out I love negotiating!

Coffeecritter

#1933: Post by Coffeecritter »

I've enjoyed my little 1975 vintage Cremina 67 for several years. She came from Tunis, sold by the original owner whose wife was a diplomat in Tunisia, so she's been around. I did some maintenance on her recently so Creminas were on my mind. Which does not excuse the insanity of bidding for another one (1976 this time) on eBay last week. This one was covered with paint splatters and the images made it look as if the chrome might be pitted. But, hey! Why not take on another project? So now she has a new boiler gasket, all new group gaskets and they're both tricked out with OE temp strips. A bit of Goo Gone and the paint went away. The "pitting" fortunately was what looks like a few months of kitchen grease which made the paint spots slide off easier :D

So now do I have a Cremina 2 group? Fraternal twins? Just close sibs? There are subtle differences (handles, portafilter angles, pressurestat drift) but vive les differences!

Life's too short to live in Dallas!

LMWDP #157

CoruscatingCoffee

#1934: Post by CoruscatingCoffee »

Coffeecritter, I was watching your Cremina on eBay last week and could not believe that you won it at such a low price. Congratulations, great looking 2 group set-up.
"Make me one with everything" said the Zen Master to the hot dog vendor.

knockbox

#1935: Post by knockbox »

I am new here and wanted to share a few photos of the Faema Faemina I've had for a few years. The seals have been replaced, but still having issues. Machine is in original condition and I would rate it excellent+++
Enjoy :D

Abnuceals

#1936: Post by Abnuceals »

Adios Ms La Spaziale, and welcome Ms Strega.
LMWDP 389

KarlSchneider

#1937: Post by KarlSchneider »

My new set up is an Olympia Cremina Millennium (updated with latest group), HG one and Elektra Microcasa a leva.. The new hand grinder inspired me to return to a completely manual set of machines. I still have an Olympia Maximatic and a Fiorenzato Doge 63 as backups but theses are the ones I use now daily.

KS
LMWDP # 008

beer&mathematics

#1938: Post by beer&mathematics »

KarlSchneider wrote:<image>
My new set up is an Olympia Cremina Millennium (updated with latest group), HG one and Elektra Microcasa a leva.. The new hand grinder inspired me to return to a completely manual set of machines. I still have an Olympia Maximatic and a Fiorenzato Doge 63 as backups but theses are the ones I use now daily.

KS
Wow--truly inspirational set-up. Got the spring and manual lever covered :)
LMWDP #431

[creative nickname]

#1939: Post by [creative nickname] »

That's almost exactly what I have on my bar, except I use a Caravel instead of a Cremina. I love how well coordinated the aesthetics are between your three machines. I think the combo of a temperature stable spring lever like the MCAL, and a temperature-flexible manual lever, gives you the perfect balance of easy day-to-day use when working with familiar coffees and flexibility when you want to play around with new beans or unusual roasts.

The only change I would suggest would be to get matching wood handles on all three machines! It made me love my setup even more.
LMWDP #435

KarlSchneider

#1940: Post by KarlSchneider »

I do agree that the aesthetics of these three complement each other very well in form + function + beauty. This complementarity matters to me and I much prefer having only these machines together on the counter.

I quite agree, as well, that the two levers allow me to work with different coffees. I have roasted all my own for 12 years and still is a weekly affair. I expect the grinder to add to this study of taste when I learn to use it more subtly.

I find the machines opposite in temp stability from your experience. The MCaL seems to me less temp stable albeit quite manageable. The Cremina is more temp stable than the MCal and than its predecessor Cremina 67. I use the pressure gauge on the Cremina to get more clarity at lower pressure or more richness at higher pressure. The MCal changes less with different pressures. My MCal is a 2004 model and not the newer one. Not sure what changed with the 2005 models. Have used the MCal daily, now, for 9 years.

I expected to be tempted to get wood handles as I have for all the other machines. But for the moment I like the feel of the HG one's standard ones. All the HG one components are just superbly made.

[creative nickname] wrote: I love how well coordinated the aesthetics are between your three machines. I think the combo of a temperature stable spring lever like the MCAL, and a temperature-flexible manual lever, gives you the perfect balance of easy day-to-day use when working with familiar coffees and flexibility when you want to play around with new beans or unusual roasts.

The only change I would suggest would be to get matching wood handles on all three machines! It made me love my setup even more.
LMWDP # 008