Lambro upgrade - Page 3

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
NelisB (original poster)

#21: Post by NelisB (original poster) »

Upgrade is done. PID works perfect. Using Volvic mineral water. Coffee tastes great, very clear, no more laurel liquorice.
Mission accomplished!

P-Stat has gone. There is almost nothing left inside the machine. I mounted a little alu-box where I put the electric connections and the SSR. The SSR doesn't click. So the machine is completely silent. A big difference with P-stat control. Pressure doesnt drop, so I have a good pre-infusion pressure constantly.

I tried to get stainless steel tubes, but the shop didnt have the right size tools to make the narrow curves. I also tried to replace the thermosyphon tubes with ptfe-tubes. That also didn't work out yet. PTFE is too stiff to make the narrow turns and I did not find a supplier that had the right fittings. But I think I leave it like this. The espresso is already sooo much better now.

noddyc43

#22: Post by noddyc43 »

Hi NelisB that Lambro is at a whole other level. The upgrade looks amazing. Can I ask about the nickel plating and how that is with descaling? Have you had any issues?

dmccallum

#23: Post by dmccallum »

Impressive indeed.
Would you mind sharing your PID component list ?

UFGators

#24: Post by UFGators »

NelisB wrote:Upgrade is done. PID works perfect. Using Volvic mineral water. Coffee tastes great, very clear, no more laurel liquorice.
Mission accomplished!
<image>

I tried to get stainless steel tubes, but the shop didnt have the right size tools to make the narrow curves. I also tried to replace the thermosyphon tubes with ptfe-tubes. That also didn't work out yet. PTFE is too stiff to make the narrow turns and I did not find a supplier that had the right fittings. But I think I leave it like this. The espresso is already sooo much better now.

Does your machine have auto fill? Where is manual boiler fill lever?

jonr

#25: Post by jonr »

It looks like people in the US could potentially do their own nickel and/or chrome plating.

http://www.caswellplating.com/

Emeric

#26: Post by Emeric »

Superb work.

Could you give me the reference of the steam wand?
I want to change mine on my Lambro too.

Thx

noddyc43

#27: Post by noddyc43 »

dmccallum wrote:Impressive indeed.
I too would be interested in the PID components you chose.

NelisB (original poster)

#28: Post by NelisB (original poster) »

noddyc43 wrote:Hi NelisB that Lambro is at a whole other level. The upgrade looks amazing. Can I ask about the nickel plating and how that is with descaling? Have you had any issues?
The nickle plating is high phosphorus electroless nickle. About 50 micron. That should be completely sealing the copper from the water.
The high phosphor is recommended to prevent from corrosion. I have not descaled yet, but the water I use now should not leave much scale in the boiler.

NelisB (original poster)

#29: Post by NelisB (original poster) »

dmccallum wrote:Impressive indeed.

I have to look it up. The pid is Storktronic ST24 PID. You won't find it on the internet though. a PT100 for measuring the temperature, a SSR. I'll get back on the brands and numbers...

NelisB (original poster)

#30: Post by NelisB (original poster) »

Emeric wrote:Superb work.

Could you give me the reference of the steam wand?
I want to change mine on my Lambro too.

Thx
Steam wand and tap is from Kees vd Westen