La Scala butterfly heating then pump turning off

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Daviidi

#1: Post by Daviidi »

Hi everyone,
This is my first post so thanks in advance and I apologize if I don't have this in the right area...!!

I have a la Scala butterfly that is about 13 years old. It hasn't been de scaled in the past year.

Of late I have had some issues with it as when I turn the machine on, it starts to heat up as per normal. Pump works and i can make my espressos as per usual.

After about 10-15min of being on, the machine pump stops working and the pressure starts to drop almost as if it has being turned off. Pressure then continues to drop and the pressure gauge then runs down to zero. The whole time this happens the light still stays on.

If I then wait for a while (10-15min) and turn it back on it heats up again as normal and pump still works and I can use it again. I generally try to turn it back on earlier but it doesn't work until it has cooled to a sufficient temperature.

Once it heats up again though it then follows the above issue and basically turns itself off again (while the light stays on...)

Thank you in advance for any advice or assistance with this as I would love to try a few things to fix it myself before taking it in for a professional service.