La San Marco lever leaking water from group

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
panchovilla

#1: Post by panchovilla »

Hello Everyone. So due to popular demand and unrest, I decided to leave my LSM 80 lever as an 80, and not convert it to a model 85. The 80 has been working really fine, and now getting back to my other lever, my LSM 85, I am having leak issues with one of the groups. One group constantly drips water, I have even closed the pre-infusion valve entirely (the adjustable nut & screw that sits behind the group), and the group still drips water. I have checked the seals inside the group, and they look ok. Where could my machine be failing me? I am sure someone has had this issue before me. Please help. Thank you, Gerry

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

It's hard to know what's going on without photos.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

panchovilla (original poster)

#3: Post by panchovilla (original poster) »

Hi. Once the water heats up, it just keeps dripping out of the group, and I'm collecting it here in this pyrex measuring cup. ideas anyone, where my problem is? thanks.

TomC
Team HB

#4: Post by TomC »

I'm not a San Marco group expert, but I am learning more about them. I believe the single seal within the pre-infusion chamber can be causing this leak if it's perished. Doug knows these groups better than most and I wouldn't be surprised if he chimes in with the correct diagnosis, or at least the proper first spots to check.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

#5: Post by panchovilla (original poster) »

Thank you Tom. I see two seals in the pre-infusion valve, one on the top and one below; are these the ones you think could be bad? <I hope Doug chimes in with his expertise.>

https://www.michaeloparts.com/index.php ... ?limit=all

109021-teflon seal (top part)
109059-valve seal (bottom part)

TomC
Team HB

#6: Post by TomC »

I think 109059 would be the first spot I'd start with.

I just got finished doing some sleuthing and the one person who seems to come up as a known expert in the LSM lever group is Arthur Springer up in Oregon. His contact info isn't publicly available anymore ( Google doesn't even help much), but I did just get off the phone with him and he gave me permission to pass it on to you, so PM me and I'll give you his number.

He reiterated what I mentioned above, and that also, a leak can be a symptom of poorly placed v seals, or even the teflon seals in the pre-infusion chamber going bad.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

phillip canuck

#7: Post by phillip canuck »

I ran into the same problem
La San Marco Model 80 Lever rebuild

Unfortunately, I ordered the parts, but then my heating element went bust, so I can't tell you if I was successful. If you haven't watched the repair video, then it's a must-see for any LSM lever group owner. I'll have my machine together sometime in the next week or two.

-phillip

puffinjk

#8: Post by puffinjk »

#9: Post by panchovilla (original poster) »

Thanks everyone. Some of the responses matched what the manufacturer told me. I spoke to LSM and they told me it was seal 109059 that needed replacing. I replaced it, it was perfect, no leaks, i made 3 coffees, then a bigger water leak began; had to turn off the machine. Am i missing something here? Please help. I am certain someone else has been thru this.
Best,
Gerry

phillip canuck

#10: Post by phillip canuck replying to panchovilla »

As mentioned above, my group was also leaking - after pulling a shot. I did two things today, one was to fiddle/switch out some of the parts in the pre-infusion valve. That stopped another leak I had, but it did not stop the group leak. For that I remembered something another member had advised me on - play with the flow valve:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... YHpBA#t=92

Unlike Doug's example, mine was cranked all the way in (tight). I backed off, pulled the lever and waited for drops. I repeated these steps until I backed out about the same length as Doug. No more grouphead leak! Now, I do have a leak from the spout that is attached to the flow valve. I assume this is some sort of pressure releashe. I recently attached a flo-jet and 5-gallon bottle as my reservior, so perhaps the the flo-jet has too much line pressure. I'm not overly concerned. Just glad not to have a group leak!

-phillip