La Peppina with damaged kettle - replace or fix?

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
daniela

#1: Post by daniela »

Hi Everyone,

It's my first time posting - thank you in advance for your recommendations.

I purchased a La Peppina from ebay and it arrived with a damaged kettle and ceramic plug. It appears as though the seller didn't package it in a tall enough box because the kettle got smooshed in the back, leaving the enamel all scratched up and the kettle bent out of shape.

I got a good deal on it, so I'm wondering if I should file a claim for a refund...or make a project out of it and see if I can fix or find a replacement kettle (which still might be cheaper than purchasing a new vintage one).

I've tried contacting deluxecoffeepasta.com with no luck yet. I'm wondering if anyone in this forum knows of anywhere else to get a replacement kettle or has one they'd sell? Or, on the flipside, do you think the damage is fixable? I've seen some enamel repair kits and so I'm wondering if I can get it bent back into shape, would that prevent the enamel from further chipping?

Thanks!
Daniela

grog

#2: Post by grog »

OE sold a bunch of Peppina kettles in last year's cleanout. I believe several HBers acquired those kettles, so there may be some out there.
LMWDP #514

daniela (original poster)

#3: Post by daniela (original poster) »

Thanks for the reply, Grog - Fingers crossed. I need to purchase a gasket rebuild kit from OE, so I'll inquire about a kettle as well.

sweaner

#4: Post by sweaner »

I would keep it and look for a replacement. There is a glass kettle in the works.

Interested in custom kettles for La Peppina?
Scott
LMWDP #248

#5: Post by daniela (original poster) »

Thanks for the reply. I stumbled upon that thread about the custom glass kettle and am definitely interested.

I was just so eager to start playing around with the Peppina. The enamel keeps flaking off the damaged part - I'm wondering if anyone's ever tried those enamel repair kits:

http://www.amazon.com/Appliance-White-P ... B0067NHDSQ

beer&mathematics

#6: Post by beer&mathematics »

grog wrote:OE sold a bunch of Peppina kettles in last year's cleanout. I believe several HBers acquired those kettles, so there may be some out there.
I was the one who bought the lot (and I think Chris (yakster) got the NOS black kettle) but sold many of the kettles keeping a few nice colors for my collection. However, I've retired all of them from use as the rust was too much to control. I plan on keeping them and possibly fixing them but I have yet to read any definitive fixes for the rust.

I would look for another peppina on ebay with a good kettle but possibly missing other parts. I would imagine a good kettle is worth paying $50 or so, but that's just me. The glass kettles mentioned earlier are really nice too so contact the one who was making them and see if they are still for sale.

Good luck and I hope you can start pulling some amazing shots soon!
LMWDP #431

DrUsagi

#7: Post by DrUsagi »

Have one thing in mind - your enamel must be food certified, so I doubt that any "repair-kit" meets that condition.

I'm in process of renewing a Peppina - already found a workshop locally that produces enameled pots. They will fix my one which has some visible rust. Estimated repair cost is 12-25 USD. Unfortunately for you it is in Poland.

On the ebay I seen a kettle for 40USD.
LMWDP #469.

#8: Post by daniela (original poster) »

Right - "food safe"....hadn't thought of that. I guess I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for a new kettle and hope that the glass prototype is ready soon.

Thanks for the feedback!

vze26m98

#9: Post by vze26m98 »

Hi Daniela-

I wonder if someone who makes enamel jewelry could advise you about whether it could be repaired. Enamel is a glass powder heat-fused onto a metal substrate. The Peppina kettle is small enough to likely fit into a small enameling kiln.

http://riograndeblog.com/2014/02/enamel ... ch-firing/

Googling, of course, will reveal a surfeit of this kind of information.

I have to believe that there would be craftspeople in Toronto you could talk to.

Also, FWIW, Peppina kettle on eBay.it:
http://www.ebay.it/itm/Caldaia-per-macc ... 12a&_uhb=1

HTH, Charles

vze26m98

#10: Post by vze26m98 »

Sorry to dribble this out. Here's a place in Illinois that re-enamels stove parts and the like:

http://retrorenovation.com/2011/09/06/r ... -or-stove/

Here's a bunch of glass craftspeople in Ontario. Yvonne Villeneuve of Toronto might be worth checking out:

http://www.artistsincanada.com/artist/b ... 88&prov=10

Of course, this says nothing about how much any of these solutions might cost.

Good luck! Charles