La Peppina with damaged kettle - replace or fix? - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
algue

#11: Post by algue »

on ebay italy is not uncommon to find one of them for sale
for example, just now there is an orange one
slightly rusty, though
and I don't know how much it could cost delivery to Toronto
alberto

algue

#12: Post by algue »

Maybe it is OT, but just now on ebay italy there is also a portafilter + filters kit for sale.
Maybe someone is interested.
Alberto

daniela (original poster)

#13: Post by daniela (original poster) »

Thanks for all the info, Charles! I will definitely look into these alternative solutions.

#14: Post by daniela (original poster) »

Ebay Italy - wow, there are so many listings that I can't see from my search! So many Piccolinas too. I've bookmarked this page - thanks, Alberto!

algue

#15: Post by algue »

Remember to ask before bidding if the seller ships to Canada.
Many of them don't ship out of italy.
Alberto

DrUsagi

#16: Post by DrUsagi »

Placing new enamel on Peppina's kettle is a bit tricky. They guy who told me that he will do that, told me also that new enamel very probably will be cranking on the edges. Enamel "do not like" sharp edges, especially in the temperature changing condition. That is probably the reason why most of old kettles have some rust at the bottom.

Good news - there is an alternative solution I been advised. Fluoropolymer coating which is a Teflon like :roll: It is heat resistant, it is food approved, it protects from rust, and there are some different colors available. On top of that I been told it is cheaper than enamel.

I will keep you informed
LMWDP #469.

#17: Post by daniela (original poster) »

That's good news about the fluoropolymer - do keep us updated.

I'm currently working on cleaning and replacing the o-rings. I'm finding it difficult to find a replacement kettle that's also in good condition, so may need to look at alternatives.

DrUsagi

#18: Post by DrUsagi »

My kettle is ready to use and in my opinion it looks fantastic. Removing enamel revealed nicely looking pattern on the steel.

Only minus is that the colors of food approved coatings are limited.
The total cost of removing the old enamel (sanding) and now Teflon coating is about $15
LMWDP #469.

#19: Post by daniela (original poster) »

That looks really sharp - kind of zen like! Is it coated with Teflon on both sides? You got it done in Poland, right? Do you mind if I ask where? At this rate, it might be worth me shipping my kettle to Poland to get renewed.

sbkgraphics

#20: Post by sbkgraphics »

Hi, I wonder if I may ask a question please.

I have a red la Peppina and was wondering what a fair price is for it. I have someone interested.

Thanks so much for your advice!

Maren